Many have said that Intel Z170 motherboards are boring; they say that there is not much variation in features and capabilities. The truth is that even though most boards have the same features in terms of connectivity, they are very different, and manufacturers have made sure of that. In the past, the Intel PCH (platform controller hub) could be complemented by many third-party controllers to provide extra connectivity, but Z170 already packs more punch than all Z97 motherboards without additional controllers. This means that product differentiation must come from things other than connectivity. To evaluate motherboards these days, you must not only look at connectivity and performance, but also at aesthetics, component quality, and unique features.
Like most manufacturers, GIGABYTE has revamped their entire lineup, but they kept their traditional numbering scheme. GIGABYTE's main lineup has traditionally been their Ultra Durable series that offers quality and features at an affordable price tag. The UD5 series has traditionally been an interesting one, and the Z170X-UD5 is no exception. GIGABYTE recently sent over the Z170X-UD5 for us to test and evaluate, and today I will share my experience with this product.
The Z170X-UD5 is a well-rounded motherboard. It uses all of Intel's basic features from the PCH and even adds more. GIGABYTE added two extra SATA ports on top of Intel's six, used seven USB 3.0 connections directly from the PCH, and added a second Intel NIC. The board is PCI-E heavy as well, and while it only supports up to 2-way SLI and 3-way CrossFireX (like the majority of Z170 motherboards), the last full sized 16x slot is a 4x slot that shares its bandwidth with the M2 slot.
There are two M.2 slots, the one that doesn't share its bandwidth with the PCI-E 16x (4x slot) does share with four of the SATA ports. In the end, GIGABYTE offers a wide assortment of possible connectivity options. The specifications of this board are quite good, especially considering the board has all the latest features, including Intel USB 3.1.
The GIGABYTE Z170X-UD5 is currently priced at $189.99 on Newegg and Amazon at the time of writing, both with free shipping. That is in the middle of most Z170 motherboards, but at around the $200 mark, I start expecting things like high quality components and OC features, and the Z170X-UD5 has both.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and the Z170X-UD5]
- Page 3 [Z170X-UD5 Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [Z170X-UD5 Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Digital-only Xbox One coming in 2019
- Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales fails at sales expectations
- Sunset Overdrive is coming to PC, available on November 16th
- SMITE Nintendo Switch release planned for November 16th
- Smash Bros. Ultimate/Pokemon: Let's Go to bump Switch sales
- Vital Progenix
- ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM AM4 with AMD RYZEN 5 2600 CPU will only boot Windows after reset
- G-Technology Mobile SSD R Series 1TB Review
- Asus 2-in-1 Q524UQ
- AMD Radeon RX 590 Review: The Refresh Of A Refresh Is Here
- Kolumno is now available on PC, mobile and Smart TVs
- Wolfalone Studio announces Darwin's Test!
- World's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale NowWorld's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale Now
- Nexon Secures Global Publishing Rights For Pokelabo, Square Enix-Developed SinoAlice
- Makeblock Announces Educational Partnership with Gratnells Storage Solutions