We've previously reviewed the starter package of the Patriot FUEL iON Galaxy S4 case and magnetic charging stand, now we're going to show you the first accessory we've been provided with. This USB-to-magnetic charger is compatible with any Patriot magnetic charging case and is not limited to the S4 case only.
The main question we have to answer here is - is the magnetic cable worth the extra investment? The FUEL iON series cases still allow you to charge your phone through a normal cable means, so why get this magnetic implement? Read on to find out my thoughts.
Compatible with any of Patriot's FUEL iON series charging cases, this charging cable will see your phone charge 99.5% as fast as a when plugged through a normal USB cable.
Thanks to the magnetic connection, this cable will be able to charge your phone at any angle within a 360 degree spectrum, as long as a connection is continued. This means that you'll remove any niggling issues of a micro-USB cable hanging out the bottom of your phone.
The cable will handle any charging speeds that your regular micro-USB or Apple equivalent cable will, meaning wall socket chargers that pump up to 3A outputs will function as per normal.
Complete with a two-year warranty, this cable measures in at 3.3ft and comes only in a white color scheme.
Pricing & Availability
With plenty of cables being made available online, the biggest issue for this cable to overcome is the price versus performance model. Setting you back $26.06 with free shipping from Amazon, this product is undeniably useful, but a little pricey.
What's in the box?
There's honestly not much to say. The cable is presented well and comes with only the cable itself.
There's a short 'manual' on the rear of the box and that's about it.
Touch and feel
The cable feels well constructed and the connectors feel like they're going to last for years to come without breaking or fraying.
The main issue you'll find with micro-USB cables is the fact that they always break around the phone connection (micro-USB) end (see image below). This is due to them bending and molding constantly when you're using the phone whilst charging and also they will take the brunt of the force if your phone is accidentally dropped. To make things worse, they're stressed every single time you plug in and unplug the cable itself. I've even broken a brand new cable by my phone falling off the desk whilst charging and landing awkwardly on the cable connection.
The other advantage of this is magnetic option is that your phone stays safe - if you mess up the one and only micro-USB input you're provided with on the device, you've got nothing left to do but to repair it or buy a new phone. Magnetic charging removes every single one of these issues and therefore I think it's worth the $26 investment to save yourself a possibly broken phone and quite a few broken cables.
The magnet has a solid connection on the device and can be used at any 360-degree angle as the website states.
It seems that the benefits are almost unlimited between this style of cable and your general micro-USB option. As mentioned previously, your cable is less likely to break or fray, the micro-USB input port on your phone stays safe, the charging speed is comparable, and you're likely to make back the cable price in a matter of one to two years as you're unlikely to have to replace it due to breakage.
We've been provided with some other accessories by Patriot in the FUEL iON series and this cable was the one I was the most unsure about. Sure, it's going to be quite expensive if you're wanting a couple of these to spread around your home, car and work when compared to $2 Deal Extreme cables, but it's guaranteed to work with a warranty and will be able to outlast your phone if treated properly.
If Patriot could only lower the price by $5-$10, I think we'd have a real winner here. Because no matter how useful, over $25 for a cable is always hard to justify in the end.
PRICING: You can find the Patriot PCGPCB3FTW Fuel Ion Wireless Charging Cable for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Patriot PCGPCB3FTW Fuel Ion Wireless Charging Cable retails for $26.06 at Amazon.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Mass Effect dev: EA only cares about highest returns
- Gabe Newell is the 427th richest person in the world
- Sharp NES TV: a curious piece of 1980s gaming magic
- Sony's new PS4 controller for kids looks like a bad idea
- Switch sells over 2 million units in U.S. alone
- LGA-775 GA-EP35-DS3P (rev 2.1), Q9550 e0 overclocking advice please?
- Will the PC-A76 accept a Tyan TYAN S7100 (S7100AG2NR) SSI EEB Mother board?
- MSI Z370 GODLIKE GAMING Motherboard Review
- GTX 1080 Ti 11GB - SLI or NOT !?
- GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard Review
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard