Serial Cables has a history of providing a wide range of cabling and specialty items, including fibre channel (cables and FSP's), HD SAS/SATA, SCSI, PCIe, and Infiniband cabling. Serialcables.com also supplies adaptors and accessories, along with wiring diagrams and pictures of all the products they supply. Serial Cables is a certified LSI Channel Alliance Partner and SandForce Trusted Partner, and they are the exclusive North American distribution partner for SerialTek.
Serial Cables provided their inaugural product geared for lab environments and testing applications with their eight-bay 12Gb/s JBOD. In our Serial Cables SA-ENC12G-01A 12Gb/s SAS3 JBOD External Storage Review, we found the JBOD offers a solid platform with quality components.
The success of the eight-port model led to development of larger 24-bay models. Serial Cables is expanding their presence in the market by offering their new SA-ENC12G-024A 24-port Direct Attach JBOD. The JBOD is specifically designed to meet the needs of 2.5" HDD/SSD testing environments, but also works well in production environments, particularly when paired with an expander, or when purchased with optional internal expanders. 12Gb/s SAS requires low-loss and high-quality PCB assemblies due to a requirement for enhanced transmit and receive equalization. The Direct Attach JBOD satisfies these requirements with quality components and internal cabling. The enclosure comes in a 19" 2U rack-mountable form factor.
Serial Cables also offers a larger 24-bay SAS/SATA test box that features individual, and replaceable, interposers. This larger version also offers individual drive power control, and current measurement, via CLI with USB, Telnet, or Ethernet connections. That enclosure provides 800 watts of power, and comes in a rack-mountable 19" configuration.
The SA-ENC12G-024A we are evaluating today is available in two configurations. As a direct attach model there are no expanders, and each drive is accessible via dual-port connections. There is also the option of 48-port 12Gb/s SAS expanders for storage environments requiring expanded high-availability features, and customers can tailor the device for their needs by selecting either one or two 12Gb/s LSI SAS 3x48 expanders for the chassis.
The 12Gb/s backplane leverages SFF-8680 connectors and SFF-8643 internal HD MiniSAS receptacles. For external connectivity, the JBOD provides 12 SFF-8644 HD MiniSAS receptacles. Each drive is addressable in single-port or dual-port mode.
A notable step forward from the eight-port model is the redundant PSUs featured on the 24-port model. These feature two 38X38X28 DC fans per module, and the 48-pin modules are hot-swappable/hot-pluggable. Each module also features its own AC inlet, and is rated for a total output power of 500 watts.
The JBOD features plenty of airflow, along with a rugged design that is well suited for test environments. The Intel lab recently conducted testing for the Intel RAID Performance 12Gb/s SAS RAID Controllers whitepaper with the eight-bay and 24-bay Serial Cables JBODs. From performance characterization to device verification, and even production environments, the Serial Cables Direct Attach JBOD is designed to meet the needs of demanding users. Let's load it up with an array of 12Gb/s SAS SSDs, and test its performance.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [SA-ENC12G-024A Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP and Web Server]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Every character trailer for Soulcalibur VI/combat tutorial
- Job J Stauffer reveals his experience working at Rockstar
- Fox flies Starlink: Battle for Atlas onto Nintendo Switch
- Ubisoft release For Honor 'Marching Fire' gameplay trailer
- Spider-Man 'The Heist' DLC adds 3 suits, October 23rd launch
- Inland Processional 3D NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe Gen 3 Review
- ASRock A320M-DGS + Ryzen 5 2600 budget upgrade with older video card?
- Default Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Review: The Perfect Card For 1440p
- Computer will not turn on.
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam