Patriot recently slipped two new, nearly identical, low-cost SSDs on the market. The first product to hit the market was the Patriot Blaze, a low-cost consumer SSD with a Phison S8 controller, available in several capacities. The new version follows Patriot's long line of fire themed products, and is called "Torch." The new Torch SSD comes in just two capacities, and is so new that Patriot doesn't even reference it on the company's website.
The Torch is nearly identical to the Blaze in the 240GB capacity, other than the product packaging, and use of low voltage DDR3 DRAM. The packaging makes a big difference in pricing; the Torch comes in a small clamshell blister pack with only a single paper document. The Blaze with standard voltage DRAM comes in a retail friendly box that adds to the cost. Using Amazon for common placement, the Torch 240GB costs just $105, but the Blaze with a retail package costs $126.
As mentioned, the Torch comes in two capacities, 240GB and 120GB. The 240GB model we're testing today uses a Phison S8 controller, but the Torch 120GB uses a Phison S9 controller. The S9 was introduced and primarily offered as a cache product, pairing a SSD with a HDD. We'll talk more about that in the coming days when we review the 120GB Torch model.
Specifications, Pricing, and Availability
Patriot's Torch comes in two capacities, the 240GB model we're testing today, and the 120GB model that we'll test later this month. Patriot doesn't list this product series on their website yet, so the data shown above comes from Amazon, the only outlet with listings for the Torch at this time.
The performance for the Torch 240GB comes in at 555 MB/s sequential read, and 535 MB/s sequential write speeds. The 120GB model has a claimed 545 MB/s sequential read, and just 430 MB/s sequential write speeds. Neither product page on Amazon shows random performance ratings, but we can determine that in our testing today.
This product series comes with a three-year warranty, but doesn't have an accessory package, or anything interesting to speak of with the product packaging. You get the SSD in a small plastic clamshell case, and that's it.
PRICING: You can find the Patriot Torch 240GB SSD for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Patriot Torch 240GB retails for $105.99 at Amazon.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Avengers 4: End Game Trailer, 289 million views in 24 hours
- Concerns about Super Smash Bros. UItimates 'Spirits Mode'
- RTS title 'Conan Unconquered' announced for PC on Steam
- Kingdom Hearts III - Opening Cinematic ft Skrillex & More
- Smash Bros. Ultimate 1st DLC fighter: Persona 5's 'Joker'
- This is about an Asus X541N laptop
- H61 Ivy Bridge upgrade issue
- Asrock Z370 Taichi Debug Code 00
- Arena Clash 'Overwatch, League of Legends and Tekken 7 Tournament Finals Head to Stratford
- Shoot the Virtual Dead in GUNGRAVE VR! Launching on PlayStation VR TODAY!
- McLaren 570s Car Pack Available In Rocket League Now
- Ashes of Creation Apocalypse Launches December 18
- Grinding Gear Games Launches Path of Exile: Betrayal for PC