Wow! We're already done with this review. Wait, my thoughts? Well, let's dissect this system and see how it fares.
We've seen all of the benchmark numbers. Clearly, this system is, hands-down, the fastest laptop we've had through the lab. There is no arguing that point. But that doesn't really cover the subjective feelings towards the laptop.
This is a superbly kickass laptop. But, you are going to pay for that performance. At over $3,400, you could put together one hell of a desktop for the same price, or less. But that's not a laptop, is it? I actually had this debate with a few of my Battlefield 4 friends. They were convinced that you should build a mini-ITX system, and use that instead of this behemoth.
I disagree, and here is why: While you can build a cheaper mini-ITX system with the same performance, you lose portability. I won't bother arguing whether or not this is actually portable, but it is definitely more portable than a mini-ITX system. It includes the screen, keyboard, and system. All you need is the power brick, and a mouse. The real question comes down to whether that really matters to you, and whether or not you need to carry this much horsepower.
Additionally, the EON17-S can be had for much less. For instance, the 4930MX CPU added nearly $1,000 to the total cost. If you were to drop the CPU down to a normal quad-core Intel processor, drop the RAM to 8GB of Corsair Vengeance, lose the Blu-ray reader, and drop the mechanical HDD, then you're looking at just $2,470 —a much easier number to swallow. Best of all, you basically don't lose any performance.
One final thought. We're enthusiasts. We like having top-tier, high-performance hardware. Price is less of an object to us.
In the end, we're evaluating the product upon its discovered merits. We found this system to be the single best gaming laptop to come through our labs. It had the most performance, the best battery life, and solid build quality. We aren't going to argue whether this solution should be for you, and we certainly won't sit here and tell you that this has excellent value, at least as configured. However, we can tell you that we are awarding this system our TweakTown Best Performance Award because it is, hands-down, the most powerful system to come through the lab.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Configurations and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Temperatures, Cooling and Noise]
- Page 3 [User Interfaces]
- Page 4 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 5 [Accessory Port Layout and Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Gaming Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - System Performance]
- Page 8 [Battery Life Performance]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Civilization VI: Gathering Storm - Biggest Civ Expansion yet
- Marvel's Spider-Man: 'Turf Wars' DLC released, new trailer
- Amazon Japan has $650+ Smash UItimate Amiibo set available
- Warframe makes its way to the Nintendo Switch, available now
- Overview trailer released for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- The computer always restarts
- X79 Extreme11 NVMe - PLEASE HELP
- Silicon Power Bolt B80 Portable SSD Review - Subtle Style
- NeueChair Review: Redefining The Modern Office Chair
- Crucial P1 500GB NVMe SSD - $100 NVMe
- olloclip Introduces Add-On Lens Clips for Apple's Newest iPhones
- ROCCAT celebrates website relaunch with fantastic deals
- QNAP Launches the Mustang-200 Computing Accelerator Card
- Manli announces GeForce RTX 2080 Ti & GeForce RTX 2070
- Stunning New Character Strikes Her Way into DEAD OR ALIVE 6