Wow! We're already done with this review. Wait, my thoughts? Well, let's dissect this system and see how it fares.
We've seen all of the benchmark numbers. Clearly, this system is, hands-down, the fastest laptop we've had through the lab. There is no arguing that point. But that doesn't really cover the subjective feelings towards the laptop.
This is a superbly kickass laptop. But, you are going to pay for that performance. At over $3,400, you could put together one hell of a desktop for the same price, or less. But that's not a laptop, is it? I actually had this debate with a few of my Battlefield 4 friends. They were convinced that you should build a mini-ITX system, and use that instead of this behemoth.
I disagree, and here is why: While you can build a cheaper mini-ITX system with the same performance, you lose portability. I won't bother arguing whether or not this is actually portable, but it is definitely more portable than a mini-ITX system. It includes the screen, keyboard, and system. All you need is the power brick, and a mouse. The real question comes down to whether that really matters to you, and whether or not you need to carry this much horsepower.
Additionally, the EON17-S can be had for much less. For instance, the 4930MX CPU added nearly $1,000 to the total cost. If you were to drop the CPU down to a normal quad-core Intel processor, drop the RAM to 8GB of Corsair Vengeance, lose the Blu-ray reader, and drop the mechanical HDD, then you're looking at just $2,470 —a much easier number to swallow. Best of all, you basically don't lose any performance.
One final thought. We're enthusiasts. We like having top-tier, high-performance hardware. Price is less of an object to us.
In the end, we're evaluating the product upon its discovered merits. We found this system to be the single best gaming laptop to come through our labs. It had the most performance, the best battery life, and solid build quality. We aren't going to argue whether this solution should be for you, and we certainly won't sit here and tell you that this has excellent value, at least as configured. However, we can tell you that we are awarding this system our TweakTown Best Performance Award because it is, hands-down, the most powerful system to come through the lab.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Configurations and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Temperatures, Cooling and Noise]
- Page 3 [User Interfaces]
- Page 4 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 5 [Accessory Port Layout and Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Gaming Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - System Performance]
- Page 8 [Battery Life Performance]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Battle Royale craze extends to... OFFICE CHAIRS
- Intel will wave goodbye to legacy BIOS support in 2020
- iMac Pro will feature A10 chip for always-on 'Hey Siri'
- EA stock prices see the dark side of Battlefront II issues
- Canadian grocery chain the first with Tesla Semi truck order
- p8z77-v Deluxe won't boot after new install of Win 10
- Secretlab OMEGA 2018 gaming chair: the new king is here
- NVIDIA TITAN Xp Star Wars Collector's Edition Unboxed
- Supermicro SuperO C7Z370-CG-L Motherboard Review
- GAMDIAS Hermes E1 Gaming Combo Review
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ