OCZ Technology tipped its hand on Vector 150 when we reviewed the Vertex 450 a few months ago. At the time we didn't speculate on it, but privately I figured this signaled OCZ's move to IMFT 20nm flash. We rang the 20nm flash warning bell since Computex 2012, when we first discovered it was much slower than IMFT 25nm, as used on the original Vector, and Toshiba 19nm Toggle NAND.
It's no real secret OCZ is struggling to purchase flash. In a recent earnings call, the company CEO stated as much, but didn't say who OCZ was having trouble purchasing flash from. With 25nm production ending some time ago, it wouldn't be a stretch to say Micron caused a disturbance in the OCZ supply chain, especially since we know early 20nm yields weren't that great. It's a tough loss, but if you want a performance SSD in 2013, you use Toshiba / SanDisk Toggle2 flash or Samsung... and Samsung are being stingy.
It may taste like a bitter pill, but OCZ's move to Toshiba Toggle2, either by choice or force, is a good thing for the company. Toggle2 not only increases performance on the Vector 150, but it also increases the endurance compared to the original IMFT 25nm Vector.
OCZ made other improvements as well with Vector 150. The new version includes support for AES-256 encryption and an updated version of Acronis that supports Windows 8.
Let's take a look at the full specifications.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [OCZ Vector 150 240GB SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark 8 Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 14 [Final Thoughts]