Prior to Computex we got wind that MSI GTX 680 Lightning was coming, then at Computex we got a chance to have a closer look at the card as it was on display at their booth. Today, though, we get a chance to get the video card in our hands at our lab and find out exactly what it's capable of.
The other week we got a chance to look at the MSI GTX 670 Power Edition which is the little brother to the GTX 680 Lightning we're looking at today, so it will be interesting to see how the two models compare against each other.
The lightning series has always represented the pinnacle of power for MSI with a Lightning version of the AMD Radeon HD 7970 impressing us back in March. Today we'll see if the GTX 680 version impresses us just as much.
Of course there's a few things we need to do before we get into the performance side of things and the first thing is we'll check out the package and cover some of the main features that are on offer. Once we've done that we'll take a closer look at the card itself and get into the specification side of things where we will also look at the overclocking capability.
Having a look at the box you can see we've got a lot of information that highlights some of the main features. Starting off with the Military Class III components we can see Copper MOSFETs, Highly-Conductive Capacitor, Golden Solid State Choke and Dark Solid Capacitors are included.
We've also got Unlocked Digital Power which brings with it an unlocked BIOS, Enhanced Power design and a digital PWM controller while one of the other big features is the 3x3 OC Kits which brings with it the V-Check Points, Triple Overvoltage and Triple Temp Monitor.
Moving across to the bottom of the box the main highlight is the Twin Frozr IV Thermal Design cooler which offers us SuperPipe Technology, Dust Removal Technology and Propeller Blade Technology. There are also two 10CM fans with a Dual-Form heatsink design which is said to bring a video card that runs both quieter and cooler.
As for the contents of the bundle we've got the normal line up of paperwork which includes the Military Class III certificate and driver CD. We've also got two 6-pin PCIe to 8-pin PCIe power connectors, three V-Check point connectors, DVI to VGA connector and a long SLI cable.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NeoGAF goes down, owner embroiled in sexual harrassment
- ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 Ti teased with triple-fan cooler
- Bitcoin hits $6000, with $100 billion in value
- Galaxy S9: 6GB RAM, headphone jack is a selling point
- Mass Effect dev: EA only cares about highest returns
- ex58-UD3R rev 1.6
- RAID on a new X370 Fatal1ty Gaming X with m.2 SSDs using a PCIe card.
- LGA-775 GA-EP35-DS3P (rev 2.1), Q9550 e0 overclocking advice please?
- Will the PC-A76 accept a Tyan TYAN S7100 (S7100AG2NR) SSI EEB Mother board?
- MSI Z370 GODLIKE GAMING Motherboard Review
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard