Prior to Computex we got wind that MSI GTX 680 Lightning was coming, then at Computex we got a chance to have a closer look at the card as it was on display at their booth. Today, though, we get a chance to get the video card in our hands at our lab and find out exactly what it's capable of.
The other week we got a chance to look at the MSI GTX 670 Power Edition which is the little brother to the GTX 680 Lightning we're looking at today, so it will be interesting to see how the two models compare against each other.
The lightning series has always represented the pinnacle of power for MSI with a Lightning version of the AMD Radeon HD 7970 impressing us back in March. Today we'll see if the GTX 680 version impresses us just as much.
Of course there's a few things we need to do before we get into the performance side of things and the first thing is we'll check out the package and cover some of the main features that are on offer. Once we've done that we'll take a closer look at the card itself and get into the specification side of things where we will also look at the overclocking capability.
Having a look at the box you can see we've got a lot of information that highlights some of the main features. Starting off with the Military Class III components we can see Copper MOSFETs, Highly-Conductive Capacitor, Golden Solid State Choke and Dark Solid Capacitors are included.
We've also got Unlocked Digital Power which brings with it an unlocked BIOS, Enhanced Power design and a digital PWM controller while one of the other big features is the 3x3 OC Kits which brings with it the V-Check Points, Triple Overvoltage and Triple Temp Monitor.
Moving across to the bottom of the box the main highlight is the Twin Frozr IV Thermal Design cooler which offers us SuperPipe Technology, Dust Removal Technology and Propeller Blade Technology. There are also two 10CM fans with a Dual-Form heatsink design which is said to bring a video card that runs both quieter and cooler.
As for the contents of the bundle we've got the normal line up of paperwork which includes the Military Class III certificate and driver CD. We've also got two 6-pin PCIe to 8-pin PCIe power connectors, three V-Check point connectors, DVI to VGA connector and a long SLI cable.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Psyonix reveals 'Salty Shores' Rocket League content update
- Overwatch two-year anniversary skins and patch notes reveal
- Human Head Studios release Rune: Ragarok gameplay video
- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: Donkey Kong Adventure unveil
- Hi-Rez Studios fires art contractor for copied Overwatch art
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 (www.BizFests.com) 64GB $1,595
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB SM-G960UZKAXAA $1,595
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- If I use the M2_1 slot in the x470 Taichi Ultimate ,will it take away PCIE lanes from the GPU?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit