We tested the QNAP TS-EC1279U-RP with a single 10GbE connection today, but the Intel 10GbE card does not ship with the NAS. The default configuration has four gigabit Ethernet ports that can be trunked together to give a theoretical 480 to 500MB/s transfer speed. A single 10GbE port can double that speed and you can even trunk two 10GbE ports together and put your NAS on steroids.
There are so many aspects of the TS-EC1279U-RP that we didn't cover today. The software side alone was an eleven page spread in a separate article. On the hardware side we could do something similar because the possibilities are virtually endless.
Reaching deep into the bag there are some flaws with the TS-EC1279U-RP. The biggest is the optional, read: you have to purchase them separate, rack mount rails that are needed to install the NAS in your rack. Then there is the file system. The QNAP software performs best with EXT4, but ZFS or XFS would perform even better if offered.
Anywhere the hardware is lacking is quickly made up by the outstanding software. Just calling this unit a NAS is an understatement. Web server, mail server, file server, download station, audio distribution for your office and all of that is before you even spent five minutes with the manual. Then you can tack on the new buzz words, iSCSI with 256 targets, VMWare vSphere, Citrix XenServerm Hyper V with failover clustering - the list is impressive.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Software Features]
- Page 4 [QNAP TS-EC1279U-RP]
- Page 5 [QNAP TS-EC1279U-RP Internals]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Content]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bandai Namco release 1080p New Gundam Breaker screenshots
- Monster Hunter World: console update released, patch notes
- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice devs shocked at PC game sales
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze overview trailer reveal
- Infinity War Iron Spider Suit now comes with game pre-order
- Issue with X299 Taichi No video through GTX 1080ti
- GIGABYTE X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WIFI Motherboard Review
- AsRock Z97 not picking up SATA drive
- GA-X79-UD3 NVMe
- MyDigitalDiscount 128GB/256GB/512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit