Based in White City, Oregon, Smooth Creations sells built-to-order gaming PCs and is known for their high-quality custom paint jobs. The company hooked us up with an HD 5970-equipped, Phenom II X6 based system with a custom "Battlefield: Bad Company 2" paint scheme.
Let's take a look.
Specifications, Pricing and Availability
All Smooth Creations systems are built-to-order and available only through smoothcreations.com. The company is, in the full sense of the term, a custom builder. Although the company's website showcases a few models and offers several options on the configuration pages, the company seems to prefer you call them up and talk to one of their reps to discuss options for a new system. One of the main selling points for the company's systems is the free custom case paint, and it probably is in the customer's best interest to discuss what is and isn't feasible in that regard with an actual person.
The website also emphasizes that Smooth Creation's chassis' are meant to last well beyond a single hardware-obsolescence cycle. When you're ready for a new computer, send your chassis back to the company for a free interior cleaning and a buff and polish of the artwork. Then they'll build a new system to your specs in your existing chassis.
While that might at first seem a bit gimmicky, take a look at the custom chassis' Smooth Creations offers, and you'll soon recognize that they are works of art unto themselves. These aren't just off-the-shelf cases with a coat of auto paint on them. They're functional art designed by an in-house team of artists and engineers.
Built on an ASUS Crosshair IV motherboard, the system packs an AMD 1090T overclocked to 4.0GHz (up from the stock 3.2GHz), and a Corsair H50 liquid cooler keeps the processor in its thermal comfort zone. ATI's flagship 5970 2GB provides graphics processing.
Smooth Creations classifies this as a "mid-range" system, and based on other configurations they offer we can see why the company considers it as such. However, compared to most of the machines we've seen recently, we would probably put this in the "upper mid-range" category, if not "high-end." We expect to see some pretty serious gaming performance from this system.
The rest of the hardware compliment includes 8GB of Corsair XMS3 1333MHz RAM, a Lite-On DVD burner, and a Coolermaster 1000 watt power supply. The storage subsystem consists of a 128GB Western Digital Silicon Edge SSD and a 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green 7200RPM drive.
As configured, this system goes for approximately $3150 USD as of October 2010.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Anthem made $3.5 million in microtransactions
- Nintendo's top 10 best-selling Indie titles on the Switch
- Official Assassin's Creed III Remastered PC specs revealed
- Streamer beats 5 Soulsborne games with no hits by enemies
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Cuphead's should join the roster
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- ASUS Prime X-470 Pro very long POST / Windows boot time
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced