Since the introduction of wireless networking (back in the days of direct path microwave), people have been looking for better, faster and more secure ways of doing things. When the wireless network hit the home it was slow; there is no other way to describe it. It was slow and clunky. Today, while wireless is still not as fast as wired networks, we are seeing pretty big leaps in speed. The n specification brings us up to 300Mbps (that is 150Mbps each direction).
The problem is that the actual n specification does not max out at 300Mbps. The top speed you can get with the n spec is actually 600Mbps. This is using MCS 31 (Modulation and Coding Scheme), 64-QAM (Quadrature amplitude modulation) modulation over a 400ns (guard interval) 40MHz channel with four spatial stream (usually four antennas, too) and a Coding Rate of 5/6. While we are not seeing that quite yet, what we are seeing is one step down. This is the MCS 23 with three spatial streams, 5/6 coding rate, 40MHz channel with a guard interval of 400ns.
When you put all this together you get 450Mbps. This is what the TRENDnet TEW-691GR brings to the table. So let's power up the WiFi, get on our tin foil hats and see what this baby can do.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- Skyrim Special Edition - 4K and 8K textures mods available
- God of War director reads reviews on video, shows true heart
- Witcher 3 mod allows Geralt to go full Benjamin Button
- Possible Router Issues
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck RX570 Review
- Akitio Thunder3 10G Network Adapter
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit