ASUS has just unleashed its next-gen ROG Phone II gaming smartphone, so now we have official specifications and details on the new top of the line gaming phone.
Inside, the new ASUS ROG Phone II has Qualcomm's latest Snapdragon 855+ chipset which is a cherry-picked SoC for the next wave of gaming smartphones. ASUS has used a large 6.6-inch FHD+ AMOLED display with a native 2340x1080 resolution and super-slick 120Hz refresh rate.
ASUS is even using a 240Hz touch sampling rate for the best in touch response with a touch latency of just 49ms, something that you should see the results of instantly when it's in your hands. Underneath, ASUS is supporting 10-bit HDR, the ROG Phone II packs a display with 10,000:1 contrast ratio, 108% of the DCI-P3 color space, and is protected by Gorilla Glass 6.
We have a Snapdragon 855+ with its CPU cores clocked at up to 2.96GHz, alongside a huge 12GB of LPDDR4X RAM, 512GB of super-fast UFS 3.0 storage and proprietary 3D vapor chamber cooler. I definitely want to go hands-on with the ROG Phone II to test out this CPU and cooling combo, it seems Qualcomm has pushed things to the limit with the new Snapdragon 855+ chip.
30W of fast-charging is supported with an additional side-placed USB-C port for convenience when you're gaming in landscape mode and want to charge the phone while you game. Seriously, ASUS deserves big credit here -- it truly is going above and beyond for gamers with the ROG Phone II.
Speaking of going above and beyond for gamers with the ROG Phone II, ASUS has used pressure-sensitive Air Trigger buttons with vibration latency reduces from 63ms to just 20ms, a huge 68% reduction.
Better yet ASUS has introduced the gamer-infused ROG Kunai Gamepad, effectively turning the ROG Phone II into a super-powered Nintendo Switch. You can have your ROG Phone II standing on your desk casting to your TV you can clip the two controllers to through a holder, which then can connect to the phone over USB, Bluetooth, and 2.4GHz RF.
ASUS ROG Phone II accessories
- AeroActive Cooler II: An active cooling fan that mounts into the two USB-C ports. This ships with the device in the box.
- Aero Case: Thin and light case that shows the glowing ROG logo on the back.
- TwinView Dock II: A clamshell device with a display on top and a 5,000mAh battery to power it.
- ROG Kunai Gamepad: A set of controllers that effectively turns the ROG Phone 2 into a Nintendo Switch.
- Mobile Desktop Dock: A dock to mount your phone and connect it to a separate monitor.
- Pro Dock: A dongle that adds tons of I/O, like USB-A ports and ethernet.
- WiGig Display Dock Plus: Allows you to stream your device to a TV or other monitor for big-screen gaming.
- ROG Lighting Armor Case: A special case that lights up on the back and uses NFC to change your wallpaper.
On-the-road users can connect the two controllers to a bumper, but this will be a huge thing to hold weighing in at 639g.
ASUS is promising up to 7 hours of crazy PUBG gaming on the ASUS ROG Phone II on the go, thanks to its huge 6000mAh battery.
The new ASUS ROG Phone II will be sold in China later this month while a global version will materialize in September. We are expecting close to $1000 for launch pricing.
ASUS ZS600KL-S845-8G128G ROG Gaming Smartphone 6' FHD+ 2160x1080 90Hz (ZS600KL-S845-8G128G)
- > NEXT STORY: Dead or Alive 6 has $670 of DLC, and a new $90 season pass
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Say goodbye to your UI in Cyberpunk 2077's hardcore mode