World of Warcraft's latest expansion Battle for Azeroth has sold over 3 million copies worldwide, making Blizzard a mountain of gold in the process.
Battle for Azeroth has topped 3.4 million sales in its first day of availability, Activision-Blizzard today announced, making it one of the fastest-selling PC games in history according to company records.
"When the Battle for Azeroth erupted worldwide last week, champions of the Alliance and the Horde around the globe were called upon to fight for their faction. Heroes everywhere turned out in force, and Blizzard Entertainment today announced that as of Battle for Azeroth's first full day of launch on August 14, more than 3.4 million units of the latest World of Warcraft expansion had sold through worldwide-setting a new day-one sales record for the franchise and making it one of the fastest-selling PC games of all-time," reads the official press release.
Despite major overhauls and additions introduced by the expansion, Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime says that the company will release a ton of new features and content for Battle for Azeroth through the coming weeks.
"Battle for Azeroth is a definitive chapter in the Horde and Alliance conflict at the heart of Warcraft, and it's been thrilling to see players representing their factions in record numbers and embarking on their war campaigns-not to mention joining in ourselves," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment.
"But the launch is just the beginning of this conflict. More epic content is coming to World of Warcraft in the weeks ahead, and we can't wait for players to experience the full story as it unfolds over the course of the expansion."
- In the coming weeks, players will be able to charge into Battle for Azeroth's first Warfront, Stromgarde-a 20-player co-op battle for control of a key strategic stronghold in the Arathi Highlands.
- On September 4, the gates will open to Battle for Azeroth's first raid-Uldir, an ancient titan facility housing horrific Old God experiments gone awry.
- Also on September 4, the expansion's first PvP season and first Mythic Keystone dungeon season will commence. The Mythic Keystone dungeon will feature a unique "seasonal affix"-Infested-that introduces new challenges based on the corrupted denizens dwelling in the Uldir raid.
- Beyond that, additional updates are in the works that will provide even more content for players on an ongoing basis, including the ability to recruit the Kul Tiran humans and Zandalari trolls as playable Allied Races. More information on future updates will be shared at a later date.
Battle for Azeroth is now available physically in stores or digitally on Battle.net for $49.99, and comes at a pivotal point when World of Warcraft's previous expansions are now free.
Last updated: Aug 24, 2018 at 06:11 am CDT
- Blizzard Black Friday deals: Overwatch for $15, 50% Diablo III and WoW
- Modern Warfare's battle pass releases in December
- Blizzard Store Holiday Sale - Save up to 65% with these awesome deals
- Modern Warfare lootboxes won't ever happen, Activision promises
- Modern Warfare to get 200-player battle royale mode with cross-play
- > NEXT STORY: Overwatch will be free-to-play this weekend on consoles/PC
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Nintendo to push 'fixed cost model' for mobile games