A few days ago we reported that multi-GPU support in Vulkan was exclusive to Windows 10, but Khonos Group has reiterated that this isn't true - and that multi-GPU support under Vulkan will work with Windows 7, Windows 10, and Linux.
Khronos Group explains: "Some of the Khronos GDC slideware mentioned that for Vulkan multi-GPU functionality, Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) must be in Linked Display Adapter (LDA) mode. That was not a very clear statement that has caused some confusion. And so it is worth clarifying that:"
- The use of WDDM is referring to the use of Vulkan multi-GPU functionality on Windows. On other OS, WDDM is not necessary to implement the Vulkan multi-GPU extension.
- The use of LDA mode can make implementing Vulkan multi-GPU functionality easier, and will probably be used by most implementations on Windows, but it is not strictly necessary.
- If an implementation on Windows does decide to use LDA mode, it is NOT tied to Windows 10. LDA mode has been available on many versions of Windows, including Windows 7 and 8.X.
They continued: "Khronos always strives to make its' specifications as cross platform as possible. Of course, what products ship on which OS is up to the implementers of each specification, but Khronos is already aware of vendor plans to ship multi-GPU functionality on platforms other than Windows 10, including Linux".
Vulkan is now ready for multi-GPU systems in all flavors of operating system, which is great news for the future of PC gaming - no Windows 10 exclusivity for Vulkan.
Last updated: Sep 1, 2017 at 06:07 am CDT
- Intel multi-GPU tech: if done right, could hurt AMD and NVIDIA
- Xmas Deals at GoodOffer24: Extra 20% OFF Antivirus + FREE Windows 10
- Xbox Series X may be more powerful, but will third-party devs use it?
- PlayStation 5 to outsell Xbox Series X in 2020, analyst predicts
- PS5 may only enhance PS4 games, legacy PS1, PS2 and PS3 games unlikely
- > NEXT STORY: Nintendo's simple fix for JoyCon issues
- < PREVIOUS STORY: GeForce 378.92 drivers, ready for Mass Effect: Andromeda