With the release of Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, we're finding out more details on the PC version of the game. Treyarch has teased that the PC version of Black Ops 3 will include full modding tools, where you can even create your own maps, and run servers for your modded content.
While Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 launches in a few days, on November 6, the modding side of the game will not reach alpha stage until March 2016. But, the developer has released a bunch of information onto its blog, where they said:
Over the years, the Call of Duty® community has proven itself to be among the most passionate in the world - and we count ourselves fortunate to make games for you.
We've been listening to one of your top requests and are excited to announce that modding and mapping are coming to Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 PC!
We've still got a lot of work left to do, but here's our current plan:
- You will be able to create Maps & Game Modes and more!
- We will include Unranked Dedicated Server Files with the tools so you can run servers with modded content anywhere you choose.
- We will provide an Unranked Server Browser so you can easily find and join servers with modded content.
- Closed Alpha target date: March 2016
Please remember that this is software development, so things don't always work out exactly as planned. Sometimes features slip or drop off altogether, sometimes they get replaced with other, more awesome features as we hit into limitations of our original plans.
There is much more news to come including updates on Open Beta timing. In order to keep you informed, we'll periodically publish developer blog posts to share our progress with our fans. Stay tuned to the Treyarch blog for more information.
And yes, this is for real.
- >> NEXT STORY: Samsung Galaxy S7 rumored to feature same camera sensor as Xperia Z5
- << PREVIOUS STORY: 'Star Trek' to boldly return to TV screens