We all knew that Grand Theft Auto was destined to be huge, just how huge was anyones guess. Today Guinness World Records announced that GTA V has managed to break not one, but six world records in less than one month since its launch. This brings the total number of world records held by the franchise to seven.
Rockstar has reported that Grand Theft Auto V sold more than 11.21 million copies in just the first 24 hours alone and then broke $1 billion in sales in just 3 days, making it the fastest selling video game of all time.
Guinness World Records Editor-in-Chief, Craig Glenday, said: "GTA totally deserves to be recognized as an icon of modern British culture, and we're thrilled to be able to feature the game in the record books. Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA 5 has proved, and how exciting that it's taken on the might of Hollywood and won! I'm also doubly proud as a Dundonian to welcome this home-grown series back into the Guinness World Records book."
A full list of the records now held by GTA V is listed below:
- Best-selling action-adventure videogame in 24 hours
- Best-selling videogame in 24 hours
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion
- Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
- Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame