In a move designed to further differentiate itself from its competitors Netflix, Amazon and HBO Go, earlier this year Hulu announced it would spend $500 million on original content. Today brings Hulu's announcement that it is creating four new original shows to add to its vast library of online shows.
The announcement provided a brief synopsis for each of the upcoming shows that it plans to create. It also includes release dates for 2, and names and talent that will be involved with each show. The first two shows have release dates of 2012 and 2013 whereas the latter two have yet to receive a set date.
- We Got Next (2012): Four unlikely friends butt heads on the pick-up basketball court and on the sidelines of everyday life. Starring: Kenya Barris (THE GAME, ARE WE THERE YET?, AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL), Hale Rothstein (THE GAME, EVERYBODY HATES CHRIS), Danny Leiner (THE OFFICE, MODERN FAMILY, ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, FREAKS AND GEEKS, HAROLD & KUMAR GO TO WHITE CASTLE, DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR?
- The Awesomes (2013): An unassuming superhero and his cohorts battle diabolical villains, the ever-present paparazzi, and a less-than-ideal reputation as second-class crime fighters. Starring: Seth Meyers (SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE), Michael Shoemaker (SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE, LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON) and animation studio Bento Box (BOB'S BURGERS, ALLEN GREGORY).
- Don't Quit Your Daydream: A cast of famous musicians travel across America in search of could-have-been musical artists to collaborate on a new song giving them a second-chance at stardom. Based on an award-winning documentary by Adrian Grenier and John Loar. Starring: Adrian Grenier; Produced by Virgin
- Flow: When Ed Dante, a hard-working kid from the wrong side of the tracks is framed for a crime he didn't commit, he begins an epic quest to deliver true justice. To achieve his goal, he must discover the mysteries of an ancient art, uncover hidden worlds and become a hero to a generation. Starring: Michael "Dooma" Wendschuh (show creator, co-founder and president of sekretagent studios: ASSASSIN'S CREED II (2009), ARMY OF TWO (2008), ASSASSIN'S CREED (2007); David Belle (Founder of Parkour); Produced by Agility Studios (producers of The LXD) and the Shine Group (WHO KNEW? IT'S EVERYBODY'S BUSINESS, APPETITE FOR LIFE)
Hulu does have some competition in the original online show area. Netflix, too, is funding the creation of original content for its subscribers. This year, Netflix released Lilyhammer and plans to add House of Cards. They also are bringing back Arrested Development which happens to be a favorite of mine. I might just have to get Netflix after all.
- > NEXT STORY: Valve confirms DOTA 2 will be a new kind of free-to-play, but with 'twists'
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Diablo III beta opens to the public today, but only for the weekend