Right in the middle of the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show, Oculus opened up the flood gates to pre-orders of the Rift VR headset - announcing a price of $599. But then, backlash started. "Palmer promised the Rift at $350!", "it's too expensive", "consoles are cheaper", "this is why PC gaming is dying".
I'm not going to be defending Oculus personally, but pricing the Rift at $599 is a bit of a crappy move to pull on consumers. Palmer Luckey, co-founder and all round VR dude, said that the Rift would be priced at "north of $350", but how far north of $350? Well, $599 is "north of $350", obviously.
Personally, I have no problem with the $599 price. That's not because I'm rich or anything but my spending habits are different to others. For me, $599 USD with shipping is $1100 AUD. Now, $1000+ is a bigger pill to swallow. Even at $1100, the Oculus Rift represents great value for money. Why? I'm going to try and explain that soon.
The Oculus Rift the first consumer VR headset to hit the market if we don't consider Samsung's Gear VR (which requires a $600+ smartphone). The $599 pricing on the Rift is bloody incredible, but I think people forget just how expensive console and PC gaming is - maybe they're wearing rose colored glasses.
VR, and more specifically, the Oculus Rift isn't going to be a "fad" like some say. It's not going to be a repeat of 3D TVs. It's going to be completely freakin' revolutionary.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- [Page 1] Oculus opens up pre-orders for the Rift, priced at $599
- [Page 2] 'Oh, but console gaming is cheaper' - Yeah... No.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- FoxNext chooses the Nintendo Switch for Alien: Blackout
- Fire Emblem characters return in Smash Bros. Ultimate event
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate sold 5 million units in 1st week
- First 2 hours of Kojima's Death Stranding confirmed complete
- Fortnite earns $2.4 billion in 2018, tops free-to-play chart
- HP EX950 SSD Review - When you want the fastest
- Pcie M.2 NVMe (1100mb/s as storage, 400mb/s in os)
- DC: Aquaman Cinema Review
- ADATA SX8200 Pro 256GB NVMe SSD Review
- Problem with RAM Overclock
- Nokia's Service Operations Center powers Telefonica UK's drive towards customer-centric operations
- Black Desert Online's Battle Royale mode enters Early Access today
- Roblox hires British online safety expert Laura Higgins to lead new digital civility initiative
- HyperX Announces 2019 We're All Gamers Ad Campaign Including Celebrity Influencers Post Malone, Gordon Hayward, Joel Embiid, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pokimane, Shroud, Daigo, De'Aaron Fox and Rush
- Macrotis: A Mother's Journey Releases this upcoming February 8th!