Right in the middle of the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show, Oculus opened up the flood gates to pre-orders of the Rift VR headset - announcing a price of $599. But then, backlash started. "Palmer promised the Rift at $350!", "it's too expensive", "consoles are cheaper", "this is why PC gaming is dying".
I'm not going to be defending Oculus personally, but pricing the Rift at $599 is a bit of a crappy move to pull on consumers. Palmer Luckey, co-founder and all round VR dude, said that the Rift would be priced at "north of $350", but how far north of $350? Well, $599 is "north of $350", obviously.
Personally, I have no problem with the $599 price. That's not because I'm rich or anything but my spending habits are different to others. For me, $599 USD with shipping is $1100 AUD. Now, $1000+ is a bigger pill to swallow. Even at $1100, the Oculus Rift represents great value for money. Why? I'm going to try and explain that soon.
The Oculus Rift the first consumer VR headset to hit the market if we don't consider Samsung's Gear VR (which requires a $600+ smartphone). The $599 pricing on the Rift is bloody incredible, but I think people forget just how expensive console and PC gaming is - maybe they're wearing rose colored glasses.
VR, and more specifically, the Oculus Rift isn't going to be a "fad" like some say. It's not going to be a repeat of 3D TVs. It's going to be completely freakin' revolutionary.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- [Page 1] Oculus opens up pre-orders for the Rift, priced at $599
- [Page 2] 'Oh, but console gaming is cheaper' - Yeah... No.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft release 4K Streaming update for Xbox One X/S
- Intel reportedly slashing budget to 'Intel Inside' marketing
- Inno3D intros new P104-100 Crypto-Mining Accelerator card
- NVIDIA TITAN V teardown reveals beautiful GV100 GPU
- Litecoin doubles in price to $317, isn't slowing down at all
- Mionix Wei Ice Cream Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus New 64GB SM-G955UZKAXAA $824
- Unable to use all 3 M.2's for RAID 0
- AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition Drivers Detailed
- 2 GPU on AB350 Gaming K4
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series