The synthetic testing put the power of flash as a cache in a NAS on display but it didn't quite prepare us for the real-world results. Read cache alone doubles and nearly triples HDD only performance in the database workload. When you add more flash (SSDs) to enable read and write cache, the performance shoots to the moon in comparison to the other hardware configurations.
The OLTP workload is similar to the database workload other than the increase in data block size. We see similar results in this test. If your workload involves small block size transfers, cache is a better upgrade for the Synology DS1819+ than the 10GbE NIC.
The email server test reminds us that all workloads at high queue depths become random due to the load on the storage. Here we see strong performance from every configuration. The 10GbE configuration doesn't see a significant performance increase, but flash does show a strong boost.
Archival File Server Workload
The archival file server test comes from Dell's Performance Lab. This little known workload with several block size transfers and mixed sequential and random data bests shows my personal workload where systems backup to the NAS, movies stream, and kids pull games from the system.
In this workload, we see 10-gigabit pulling away from the other configurations at low outstanding IO (OIO).
Web Server Workload
The web server test is more specialized than the other tests. Most companies have moved to cheap online hosting for public-facing websites, but in house, intranet is usually a local system.
After looking at the previous results for our server tests, the last workload result doesn't surprise us. When working with anything other than pure file transfers, 10-gigabit doesn't increase performance much, but SSDs accelerate workloads without a network overhaul.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 2K Games is making ANOTHER multiplayer game
- FSP intro new SFX DAGGER PRO 650W and 550W PSUs
- Mario Maker 2 turns the Switch into a 3DS
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Quarantine beta sign-ups available
- Gearbox announce Penn & Teller troll VR game F.U.U.U & U
- Aerocool Cylon Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- track pad stops responding
- Kensington SD2000p Nano USB-C Dock Review
- Phison PS5016-E16 PCIe 4.0 SSD First Look Preview
- Update Intel RAID ROM - How to do it?
- Minecraft notes a transcultural success in China with over 1.36 billion mod downloads
- Gearbox Raises The Curtain on Penn and Teller VR: Frankly Unfair, Unkind, Unnecessary & Underhanded, Launching June 27
- Turn-based RPG Fort Triumph receives major update, final version to come in Q1 2020 to PC and consoles
- Taiwan International Balloon Festival lifts off from Luye Highlands on June 29
- Save the Multiverse Today With the Xbox One Release of Double Cross