With competitors inching closer to matching the aging 850 EVO's performance, Samsung is countering with a successor to the world's bestselling SSD. Samsung's new 860 EVO is designed to keep the TLC SATA performance crown firmly in Samsung's camp. The 860 EVO comes armed with Samsung's fourth generation V-NAND technology and a new Samsung ARM-based MJX controller. Samsung's MJX controller offers many improvements over previous models including expanded system compatibility, a refined ECC algorithm and improved queued TRIM for Linux systems.
The technologies incorporated into the 860 EVO assure long-term dependable performance with minimal performance degradation. The 860 EVO provides up to a whopping 51% better-sustained performance compare to that of its predecessor. Additionally, the 860 EVO is rated for up to 6x better endurance than the 850 EVO. The 860 EVO's potent combination of Samsung's MJX controller and the newest V-NAND architecture delivers sequential read/write speeds of up to 550/520 MB/s and random read/write performance of up to 98K/90K IOPS
Samsung has also revamped their TurboWrite technology. Samsung's new Intelligent TurboWrite technology is dynamic in nature. Intelligent TurboWrite automatically determines how much space to allocate to the EVO's TurboWrite cache region based on the workload demand. Compared to the 850 EVO, the 860 EVO can allocate up to 6X the capacity for TurboWrite during the most demanding write-intensive workloads.
On the security front, the 860 EVO does not disappoint. The 860 EVO is equipped with an AES 256-bit hardware-based encryption engine ensuring absolute security for your data at all times. Samsung's SED (Self Encrypting Drive) technology is hardware-based, ensuring full protection without suffering performance degradation that is common with software-based encryption. Additionally, the 860 EVO is fully compliant with TCG Opal and Encrypted Drive-IEEE1667 advanced security management solutions.
Samsung's 860 EVO Series comes with Samsung Data Migration and Samsung Magician software via download. Both are free for 860 EVO users. Samsung Data Migration software allows you to easily migrate your OS and all data contained on your old system disk to your new 860 EVO with a couple of clicks.
Samsung Magician software is SSD toolbox software that makes monitoring and maintaining your Samsung SSD a simple task. With Magician, you can automatically update firmware, check your SSDs health status, overprovision the drive, optimize the OS for SSD use, check performance, secure erase and encrypt your Samsung SSD. Want even more speed from your 860 EVO? With Magician you can enable Samsung's RAPID DRAM assisted SSD caching technology if you are running in AHCI mode.
The successor to the world's bestselling SSD has a lot to offer, let's see how it does on the test bench.
The 1TB model we have in the lab sports the following specifications:
- Sequential Read: up to 550 MB/s
- Sequential Write: up to 520 MB/s
- Max 4K QD32 Random Read: up to 98,000 IOPS
- Max 4K QD32 Random Write: up to 90,000 IOPS
- 4K QD1 Read: up to 10,000 IOPS
- 4K QD1 Write: up to 42,000 IOPS
- Endurance: 600 TBW
- MTTF: 1.5 Million Hours
- Warranty: 5-Year Limited Warranty
- Avg. Active Power: 3W
- DEVSLP 2.6 mW
- Garbage Collection
- Software: Samsung Magician, Samsung Migration Software
Availability: Currently selling at retail outlets.
MSRP: 1TB $329.99
Samsung's 860 EVO is available in capacities ranging from 250GB - 4TB
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA III SSD retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA III SSD retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Windows 10 Pro OEM CD-KEY Global, just $12.32
- Nintendo and Microsoft take a 'cross-play' jab at Sony
- Rare does Sea of Thieves 'roundtable' meeting at E3 2018
- Steam Summer Sale 2018, two weeks of CRAZY low prices
- Brand new F1 2018 trailer reveals the French Grand Prix
- Best SSD For Gaming: Over 120 SSDs Tested!
- Vampyr Review: Bloody Rare
- ASROCK X370 and MB STICKS
- Aten Thunderbolt 3 Multiport Dock
- Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit