Test System Setup
Tyler's NAS Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IX Hero (buy from Amazon)
- CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K (buy from Amazon) / (Read our Review)
- Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 3200 (buy from Amazon)
- Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Hybrid (buy from Amazon)
- OS Storage: Intel 730 480GB SSD (buy from Amazon) / (Read our Review)
- Secondary Storage: MyDigitalSSD BP5 512GB SSD (buy from Amazon)
- Case: EVGA DG-86 (buy from Amazon)
- Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 (buy from Amazon)
- Networking: ASUS PCE-AC88 AC3100 (buy from Amazon)
- Networking: ASUS ROG 10G Express
- I/O: ASUS Thunderbolt EX3 (buy from Amazon)
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 (buy from Amazon)
The Synology Assistant aides in setting up our appliance. Once installed, this application will search your Network for any Synology NAS and start the setup process.
DSM setup takes around 5-10 minutes. It will ask a few questions about location and what packages you want to be installed and then commences those changes.
The package center has a solid number of offerings including Synology's own apps seen above to the right.
Control Panel includes options for managing users and groups and even shared folders. You get connectivity options with network manager and wireless options if you happen to be using a WLAN adapter. Hardware and power along with indexing and external device manager are available near the bottom and all NAS updates can be managed via the update and restore links.
Storage Manager gives you volume and disk group access. iSCSI is also made available to this menu as is SSD cache and Hot Spare.
One new feature of Synology appliances is IronWolf Health Manager. If you are using Synology drives, you should see the logo show up next to your drives as seen above.
With IronWolf drives, you can schedule drive tests within DSM storage manager keeping you up to date on your drives health.
Further, you can purchase a recovery plan from Seagate should any of your drives ever fail.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Synology RS217 Two-Bay RackStation retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Synology RS217 Two-Bay RackStation retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 5 minutes of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's 'World of Light'
- Fury's rage showcased in two new Darksiders III trailers
- Marvel & Riot partner to release 'League of Legends' comics
- Players will unlock Smash Bros. Ultimate's roster rapidly
- Skyrim composer raises hand for Lord of The Rings TV show
- 'Koala Stoner Noir' Free Demo Released Today. Full Game Updated With New Map Location And Cinema Experience
- TRENDnet launches long-range PoE+ switches
- ADATA Launches Ultimate SU630 3D QLC NAND SSD
- Razer announces the BlackWidow Lite
- ASUS ROG Announces ROG Strix Radeon RX 590 Graphics Card