Some games like single core performance, some like more cores, some like more frequency, some are optimized for four cores, and some are just a mixed bag of goodies. These gaming results are very interesting, as they show us how well the ecosystem is optimized for Intel's 4-core CPUs. In Resident Evil 6, the 8700K does quite well. However, the 7700K and 7740X still have higher core boost frequencies when using 4 or more cores.
An anomaly can be found within GTA:V and Rise of the Tomb Raider, where the i5-8400 matches or beats the i7-8700K. The only explanation we have for that is that these games aren't optimized for high core counts (many games are optimized for four cores as that has been the standard for a while). The games might not appreciate Hyper-Threading either.
It was found that turning off Hyper-Threading/SMT can help in some titles, especially if that title doesn't take advantage of all threads available. Sometimes it's better to dedicate one thread to one core instead of one thread to one core in a mode to accept two threads. Ashes of the Singularity brings things back into the realm of easy logic, with the 8700K doing exceptionally well.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at the Amazon website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at the Amazon UK website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at the Amazon Canada website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The CPU and Test Setup]
- Page 3 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of the Singularity]
- Page 7 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 8 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]