Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B CPU Cooler
So far, everything about the Mugen 5 Rev.B is identical to the original. There are thirty-nine fins, with the top one thicker than the rest, and caps over the heat pipe tips. The pipes are offset through the tower and have gentle curves as they enter either side of the base.
Looking at what we could call the top of the cooler, once it is installed, we can plainly see the asymmetric design of this tower. The pipes are bent to allow the tower to sit back from its center point, leaving room for the primary fan placement, which is on the left of the tower, in this image.
From the back, the look of the tower does not differ much from what we saw looking at the front. Different pipes are now visible due to the way that they are bent to run through the tower, but otherwise, there is nothing new to discuss.
The same can be said for the side, but there is one thing we left out of our last look from a similar angle. Not only is the tower offset to remove conflict with RAM in front of it, at the back, but the lower five fins have also been cut short. This allows for RAM clearance behind it, for motherboards using quad channel memory.
The top of the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B is nice to look at. Exposed natural aluminum fins with the Scythe logo embossed in it, the caps on the heat pipes, all of it looks nice and clean. There is an offset at the front and back edges which allows for space between the fan and the cooler body, and there are also two holes that run through all of the fins to help with mounting.
On top of the base, Scythe uses a thick chunk of aluminum, which has fins in it to help dissipate some of the heat. Running across the fins is a mounting bar, which is permanently attached, and has the mounting screws built into the bar as well.
All of the thirty-nine aluminum fins are pressed onto the heat pipes after the nickel coating was applied to them. The fit is tight, and when the holes were pressed, they have lips remaining, which helps to keep the fin spacing correct between each of the fins.
The base of the cooler ships with a protective layer of plastic on it. This will help to keep the base in good condition, but as the warning says, peel this off before installation.
The base is machined to a near perfect mirror finish. Any marks left from the machining of the base have been levels with the use of the nickel plating, and deviation of the surface only occurs nearest the edges. The mating surface is ever so slightly convex, which helps to increase pressure and helps with the removal of heat.
Digging through the hardware, we grabbed a pair of the fan clips and installed the fan onto the tower. We see that the fan is nearly as wide as the tower, but it does push air above and below the tower.
From the side, we see that the fan sits our just slightly further than the mounting hardware, which will cause no issues with the RAM in front of it. However, hanging a fan on the back will negate the clearance that the Mugen 5 Rev.B is notched to provide.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Survival instinct questioned in new Left Alive trailer
- Devil May Cry 5 - HYDE Collaboration trailer released
- The Conan Unconquered experience is truly 'unconquerable'
- Darksiders III - Accolades Trailer released
- NierR: Automata - Game of the YoRHa Edition details soon
- The Best Zero Gravity Chair of 2018 - Your Best Digs
- How Does Garcinia Shaping Pro Work?
- Fallout 76 Review: Atomic Waste
- My Asus TUF FX504GD (a gaming laptop) crashes everytime I launch high end games
- Load Up and Get Necrolyzed, GUNGRAVE VR Launches for PlayStation VR Today
- En Masse Entertainment Catches and Releases the 'BAF Masters' Update on TERA PC, Live Alongside Wintera Events Today
- 'MK Kollective' to Relaunch with Original Content from New Ambassadors in Celebration of Mortal Kombat 11
- Forge A Path To Survival In Left Alive
- SAIRENTO VR slashes onto PSVR early 2019