All CPUs are tested with Out of the Box Performance, which means that no settings were altered, so basically default CPU and RAM speeds. AMD's default mode is UMA/Distributed/Creator operation mode, where the memory is wide, so I also tested the 1950X in Gamer's mode, which makes the memory local and disables one of the dies, so it makes it basically a 1800X (8c/16t) with quad channel memory.
I also tested both the 1920X and 1950X with "AMD Optimized," which means memory speed of 2666MHz as stated on AMD's official CPU specifications.
So here is where Threadripper's weakness becomes apparent. Many games still can only take advantage of many fewer cores than Threadripper offers, and they like high frequency and high per core performance, so it was no surprise with the added latency of the Infinity Fabric between two core clusters, that we would see lower performance than Ryzen 7 CPUs.
AMD's Gamer Mode does seem to help bring back gaming performance by disabling one complex and routing all memory to just one. Another thing that helps a lot is memory speed, as this affects the Infinity Fabric speed as well, and we see big increases in gaming performance with just memory speed boosts, and ours in these threads are actually quite minor (2133 to 2666MHz).
AMD has yet to optimize many of the titles such as Ashes of the Singularity (a fun game actually), but I assume we will see some of these numbers go up in the coming months as we did with the first round of Ryzen CPUs. If you are curious about the zeros on the 1950X Gamer Mode results for AoS, it's because the game produced an error in legacy mode.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Threadripper Internal Configurations]
- Page 3 [The CPU and Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of the Singularity]
- Page 8 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]