The time has finally come, and at this early hour of the morning (6 AM if you are on the west coast of the USA) you will get to see what the hype behind AMD's Threadripper CPUs is all about. AMD's recent revelations, such as those seen from leaked CINEBENCH scores and early sanctioned benchmarks from Alienware Area 51 systems touting the new CPU, don't reveal much beyond synthetics, and many of you have waited for this moment, and it's finally here.
Today we put a ridiculous 16 core and 32 thread CPU through the ringer along with its 12 core and 24 thread variant. These CPUs utilize the same Zen core micro architecture as the Ryzen 3, 5, and 7 series consumer CPUs and AMD's EYPC lineup of server CPUs.
Without further hesitation, let's see what AMD's Ryzen Threadripper 1950X and 1920X can do!
AMD's Threadripper 1950X, 1920X, and other Thread Rippler CPUs are made up of two CPU Core Complexes (CCX). Each of the CCXs inside the 1950X is configured with 4+4 cores, while the 1920X is 3+3. In the end, you get two silicon dies in a configuration such as (4+4) + (4+4). Each of the dies is configured horizontally from the other, and two dud dies sit next to the working dies to balance out pressure from heat sink coolers.
Both CPUs have a 180W TDP and 32MB of total L3 cache. L2 cache is 8MB in the 1950X and 6MB in the 1920X. The 1950X has a base clock of 3.4GHz while the 1920X has a base of 3.5GHz. Both CPUs have an all core boost frequency of 3.7GHz, a four core boost up to 4.0GHz, and a 4.2GHz XFR boost on four cores if thermal headroom is here.
Both CPUs also have 64 PCI-E lanes, four of which have to go to the X399 chipset, and the rest can go to a total of 7 devices, typically four GPUs and three M.2 slots. While hardware RAID of NVMe drives (typically M.2) isn't currently supported, there is software RAID. AMD really needs to get NVMe RAID working on X399, and I think they might do it in the future, as RAID on a chipset means that total bandwidth is bottlenecked at the CPU to chipset connection; however, that wouldn't be the case with Threadripper since the M.2 slots are routed directly to the CPU.
The Ryzen Threadripper 1950X will cost $999, and the Ryzen Threadripper 1920X will cost $799.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Threadripper Internal Configurations]
- Page 3 [The CPU and Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of the Singularity]
- Page 8 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The Joker director hints at sequel 'I would do anything with Joaquin'
- GameStop lays off 120 staff members, 14% off total staff eliminated
- Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord sticks a landing on Steam, March 2020
- The One Punch Man game forces players to stall until Saitama arrives
- World's first real-world quantum network built with brand new protocol
- Synology DS620slim Six-Bay SFF NAS Review
- LaCie Rugged RAID Shuttle Review
- Pengo USB-C Dock Review
- Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.3 F12 to UEFI
- Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.3 F12 to UEFI
- Yubico Launches the World's First Lightning-Compatible Security Key, the YubiKey 5Ci
- Monkey King: Hero Is Back Pre-Orders Now Open on Steam
- Lionsgate and Bloober Team Release New Blair Witch 'Insanity' Story Trailer
- PINBRAWLER CREATURE IN THE WELL PRE-ORDERS NOW LIVE GAME LAUNCHES SEPTEMBER 6
- NEW DATING SIM GAME ANNOUNCED: NOW WITH 100% MORE DOGS You'll want to get your paws on this one On Valentine's Day, 2020