All CPUs are tested with Out of the Box Performance, which means that no settings were altered, so basically default CPU and RAM speeds. AMD's default mode is UMA/Distributed/Creator operation mode, where the memory is wide, so I also tested the 1950X in Gamer's mode, which makes the memory local and disables one of the dies, so it makes it basically a 1800X (8c/16t) with quad channel memory.
I also tested both the 1920X and 1950X with "AMD Optimized," which means memory speed of 2666MHz as stated on AMD's official CPU specifications.
We would expect the 1950X and 1920X to greatly trump the 7900X since they have many more cores and threads in applications such as HandBrake. The truth is that it doesn't beat the 7900X when rendering changes a 720P movie's codec to something more compressed, but the 1950X does beat the 7900 when taking a 4K video to 1080P.
The reason is that HandBrake didn't utilize all the cores and threads, as each different HandBrake profile utilizes cores and threads differently, some take advantage of all cores and threads while some don't. ScienceMark surprises and Threadripper will beat Intel's similar offerings with ease in many cases for overall scores.
While Intel leads in cryptography and molecular dynamics, Threadripper has a big advantage in memory and other things such as BAS/FLOPs, putting it ahead in final score. SuperPI 32M shows how the latency penalty from multiple infinity fabric jumps effects single core performance when it's heavily dependent on memory speeds. We can see that AMD's Gamer Mode, which greatly improved memory latency, does help it do a lot better, as SuperPI is extremely latency dependent.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Threadripper Internal Configurations]
- Page 3 [The CPU and Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of the Singularity]
- Page 8 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]