Before we start talking about the Origin EON17-X, I want to discuss what sets a notebook/laptop apart from a desktop. These days, with the advent of more efficient devices, many notebook parts are comparable to their desktop variants. However, many are still gimped by their power configurations. Since the desktop has more space than a notebook, vendors can utilize larger cooling systems to combat higher power requirements. However, this doesn't seem to have stopped some vendors from implementing desktop components in notebooks with superior cooling setups.
The Origin EON17-X is loaded with a desktop Intel Core i7 6700K, which Origin custom overclocked to 4.5GHz. It also has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB mobile Pascal based GPU, which Origin also custom overclocked. If overclocking the fastest consumer CPU and GPU was not enough, Origin went ahead and overclocked the memory as well (with XMP), and then tossed it all into a notebook with a 4K NVIDIA G-Sync panel with all the bells and whistles.
Origin then added an RGB keyboard and a Sound Blaster based audio system with a Sabre DAC and Texas Instruments amplifier. The Origin EON17-X has specs in line with most gaming desktops, so let us look at how a powerful gaming desktop disguised as a gaming notebook fairs in the real-world.
These days it is rare to find gaming notebooks designed, manufactured, and sold by the same company. Origin worked closely with a well-established ODM (Clevo) to develop the EON17-X. Our variant comes with a 17" 4K G-Sync enabled panel, an overclocked GTX 1080 8GB, an overclocked 6700K running at 4.5GHz, 16GB of Corsair Vengeance memory running at 2666MHz, a 512GB RAID 0 array using two Samsung 950 Pro SSDs, and a 1TB HDD.
It's only 1.6" thick, weighs 8.6lbs, and measures 16.4" x 11.6" (width x depth). I have seen thicker, larger, and bigger notebooks that don't pack the same punch regarding overclocking and hardware as the Origin EON17-X. The notebook also comes with many different custom paint jobs and Origin's support. The unit has a one-year part replacement, 45-day shipping, and 45-day no dead pixel guarantee. You also get 24/7 lifetime United States based support and lifetime free labor, a huge plus for those who are weary of shoddy outsourced post-purchase support.
The EON17-X has a customizable backlit keyboard with RGB LEDs, comes with GC-Extreme thermal paste on the CPU and GPU, Windows 10 Professional, Thunderbolt 3, support for up to 64GB of RAM, biometric area fingerprint reader, FHD camera, and Killer wired and wireless LAN. You can order the unit customized to meet your exact needs, with different CPU, GPU, storage, RAM, panel, color, and audio options.
The EON17-X comes in different configurations, with ours costing $3572.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Physical Overview]
- Page 3 [Physical Overview Continued]
- Page 4 [Software and BIOS]
- Page 5 [System Performance Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [Gaming Performance Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System IO and Battery Performance]
- Page 8 [Thermal Performance]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Switch soon to feature 1000+ games, all regions
- Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1/2 screenshots & Rookie mode
- Vivo's next smartphone could feature a huge 10GB of RAM
- Ruin the fun in our 'Blockers' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Make a noise for our 'A Quiet Place' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Unlock Outlook PST Recovery Tool
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- iStorage diskashur DT2 12TB Review
- Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 rev 1.0
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit