The Talon was the last device I tested before adding in the new range screenshots using the Wi-Fi analytics app. With that said, I did do some internal range testing that we will talk about below.
As you can see above, the Talon does quite good with storage, reaching 69 MB/s for both file sizes in our read testing. Write performance is down slightly but overall sticks with what we normally see out of routers.
The TP-Link Talon while offering a full on AC2600 setup underneath, the 802.11ad part is a niche solution if I'm honest. That's not to say I didn't like the router or had any issues with it in testing. Build quality is right with the C5400 offering quality plastics in ABS with the only possible weak point being the antenna hinges.
For testing, TP-Link sent along an Acer laptop using a Qualcomm Sparrow 60GHz NIC, so I used that for testing the 802.11ad functionality and used my standard test system for the rest.
As you saw, 60GHz is certainly an impressive technology, providing true gigabit performance over wireless technology. With that does come a few downsides and one of those is range. I tested the 60GHz performance in several scenarios one of which was me moving further and further away from the router as the test was running and I can say ten foot really is the breaking point for 60GHz.
After that, the performance severely drops off. Now this is an entirely new tech to hit the market, and I don't see it catching on for quite a while, especially with nearly no client devices capable of using it and its poor range. In fact, I'm not even sure half of the consumer market has made the switch to 802.11ac even now, three years in.
With that said, the Talon AD7200 isn't just 60GHz. Sure, it's the first of its kind, but it's a hybrid with 802.11ac technology as its base. So, consumers that want to get a jump on technology now have an option for using 802.11ac now while being ready for the future with 802.11ad, and that definitely not a bad thing.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||85%|
|Bundle and Packaging||85%|
|Value for Money||70%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||84%|
The Bottom Line: TP-Link's Talon AD7200 is a proof of concept solution showing us what the future will hold for wireless technology while still maintaining functionality in today's networking environment with 802.11ac.
PRICING: You can find the TP-Link Talon AD7200 802.11ad Wireless Router for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The TP-Link Talon AD7200 802.11ad Wireless Router retails for $350 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The TP-Link Talon AD7200 802.11ad Wireless Router retails for £306 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Pricing, Availability and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Router Details]
- Page 3 [Management GUI Details and Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks- Wired, Wireless Throughput and Wireless Range]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks – Storage Performance & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Apex Legends mods have banned over 16,000 cheaters so far
- Overwatch Monopoly, action figures are on their way
- Samsung bows out of the Blu-ray player market in the US
- NVIDIA's gaming division bleeds out, revenues down 45%
- AMD rumored to launch 7nm Navi GPUs on 7/7
- Z77X-UD5H Bios Issue When Setting CPU Multiplier Above 44
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Review: Fright Night
- HELP !!!! ASROCK Z77 PRO3 "NON-K OC MENU" disappeared :-(
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- ASRock Multi-Gigabit Performance: 10GbE/5GbE/2.5G Networking
- BundleFest is coming - Get ready for the biggest bundle event of the year
- Team NINJA Announces DEAD OR ALIVE 6 Deluxe Demo, World Championship, and SNK Collaboration
- The Escape Room Puzzle Game Themed On The Seven Deadly Sins Will Hit Steam On Feb 28th
- [01Studio] Indie MMORPG - Citywars Savage