Installation and Finished Product
Before dropping the back plate onto the back of the motherboard, you need to install the isolation layer, as well as using 10mm screws and lock washers. This will hold the screws in place while it is dropped onto the back of the motherboard.
To get to what is shown here, there are standoffs that attach to the screws running through the back plate. You can then set the top bracket on the standoffs, and screw the bracket into place. This bracket is also drilled to allow AMD users the proper orientation, no matter how the socket is laid out.
For testing, we prefer to cover the tower as well as we can with the supplied fan, and the overall height increased 8mm like this. While the Macho 120 SBM seems tall, it is of average height, but being only 130mm wide, it also does not cause issues in other areas either.
This is what we meant earlier, saying the fan can be dropped to stay below the tips of the pipes. Since it is entirely clear of all for memory slots, the only thing stopping the fan from being lowered is the cross mounting bracket, which is much lower than this fan is currently.
The cooler comes equipped with fan clips to allow for a second fan. On our particular motherboard, it would have to sit higher, and again is something you need to ponder with an offset cooler such as this. If using an X99 motherboard, a second fan would cause issues with DIMM slots to the left of the socket.
In this photo, the Macho 120 SBM looks less massive than when it is standing by itself. Full clearance to the memory, as well as to the motherboard screws, and even the first PCI-e slot. The Macho 120 SBM, while stylish, almost blends into the background, nothing overdramatic, just an expanse of black anodized aluminum, and a fan that appears to have three white racing stripes around it.
PRICING: You can find the Thermalright Macho 120 SBM CPU Cooler for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Thermalright Macho 120 SBM CPU Cooler retails for $55 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Thermalright Macho 120 SBM CPU Cooler retails for £51 at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Thermalright Macho 120 SBM CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Google Pixel 2 teased in 'Kinda Blue', starts at $649
- Google Pixelbook: Surface competitor starts at $1199
- Biostar's upcoming RACING Z370 GT7 motherboard teased
- Core i9-7980XE benched: super-fast, but costs $1999
- Custom Radeon RX Vega cards not coming until November
- ad240ehdgmbox on m3a785gmh/128m mainboard?
- 8K benched: RX Vega 64 vs. GTX 1080 Ti vs. TITAN Xp SLI
- AMD X399 TR4 Threadripper Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- Gigabyte System Information Viewer
- ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard Review
- In Win Launches 'Wood-infused' 305 Mid-Tower PC Chassis
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower