Here we are, a week out from my review on the MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G, our first custom GTX 1080 card. One week later, and we are finally publishing our first custom GTX 1070 review, with MSI's GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G, a slight bump down from the GTX 1080 - with impressive overclocking headroom, and the same silent gaming experience.
First off, I've done some Facebook Live videos on MSI's GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G, which we've got embedded below.
As you can see from our Facebook Live videos, there have been some rather excited gamers out there wanting to see what the MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G is all about. We have had over 500,000+ reached with thousands of views on these videos, and don't worry - I will be doing more of these, for every single video card, monitor, and VR headset I have - or will have coming through my doors.
NVIDIA's new GeForce GTX 1070 is second only to the GTX 1080, with less CUDA cores, GDDR5 versus the GDDR5X on the GTX 1080, and well - that's about it. NVIDIA's own GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition video card was an impressive piece of technology, but MSI has really changed things up with its Gaming X line, throwing its always impressive, but new Twin Frozr VI cooler on it - for silent, but powerful gaming.
Both the GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 are made on the same 16nm FinFET process, and both rock NVIDIA's next-gen Pascal architecture. The big difference here is that the GTX 1080 features 2560 CUDA cores, while the GTX 1070 gets cut down to 1920 CUDA cores. It seems like a lot, but will it hurt the performance? We'll have to see.
The GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition rocks a Core clock of 1506MHz with a Boost of 1683MHz, with 8GB of GDDR5 on a 256-bit memory bus with the 8GB of framebuffer set at 8GHz. The TDP of the GTX 1070 FE is 150W, but MSI has an additional 6-pin PCIe power connector that should hopefully provide some good overclocking headroom. MSI amps those clock speeds up, which we'll get into below.
The First of a Wave of New GeForce GTX 1070s
While the GTX 1070 Founders Edition has a Core clock of 1506MHz, the MSI card ships with three different modes - Silent, Gaming and OC. Out of the box, my MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G was clocked at a huge 2088MHz on Boost... so that explains MSI and ASUS shipping cards to the press with overclocked profiles enabled, or it was my EVGA Precision X OC software - which I used to down clock my card to its Boost of 1797MHz.
Here's what to expect:
- Silent: 1506MHz/1683MHz (Base/Boost)
- Gaming: 1582/1771MHz (Base/Boost)
- OC: 1607/1797MHz (Base/Boost)
We have more GeForce GTX 1070 video cards coming through the labs, including cards from both GIGABYTE and Palit (so far). But, the MSI card has my eye as I was so in love with the GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G, which provided a totally silent gaming experience - all while providing some truly kick ass performance.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [The First Custom GTX 1070 We've Tested]
- Page 2 [MSI's Twin Frozr VI Cooler, Custom PCB, and RGBs]
- Page 3 [Detailed Look & Specifications]
- Page 4 [Testing Methodology & Test Setup Configuration]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks @ 1080p]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks @ 1440p]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks @ 4K]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - DX12 & OC Adventures]
- Page 10 [Power, Temperature, & Noise]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Spider-Man developers thought the story wasn't funny enough
- Warner Bros. release teaser for Pokemon: Detective Pikachu
- China sprouts the first life ever made on the Moons surface
- Zelda: Link's Awakening Switch & GameBoy comparison video
- Apex Legends mods have banned over 16,000 cheaters so far
- Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Z77X-UD5H Bios Issue When Setting CPU Multiplier Above 44
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Review: Fright Night
- HELP !!!! ASROCK Z77 PRO3 "NON-K OC MENU" disappeared :-(
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- BundleFest is coming - Get ready for the biggest bundle event of the year
- Team NINJA Announces DEAD OR ALIVE 6 Deluxe Demo, World Championship, and SNK Collaboration
- Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc. Launches Jump Force; The Ultimate Manga Crossover Extravaganza
- The Escape Room Puzzle Game Themed On The Seven Deadly Sins Will Hit Steam On Feb 28th
- [01Studio] Indie MMORPG - Citywars Savage