NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 1080 launched like a robot into the atmosphere, taking off and selling out in more than one country, with it being the most-wanted video card right now. In our review of the GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, I praised its various feats like the 16nm FinFET process, the new Pascal architecture, and the use of GDDR5X clocked at 10GHz. It was something I referred to as the Holy Trinity of technology, which allowed NVIDIA to created a video card that offers virtually the same performance of two GTX 980s in SLI. Impressive, considering it has a single 8-pin PCI power connector and consumes far less power.
Well, MSI is a company that we've all known and loved for performance hardware, especially when it comes to video cards. MSI has been famous for its pre-overclocking range of video cards, with most of them cooled by their Twin Frozr technology. The new GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G has the latest Twin Frozr VI cooler, which keeps the card cool enough through anything we threw at it that it's silent during even after long periods of heavy gaming.
With an overclocked GPU, additional 6-pin PCIe power connector, and better cooler, MSI's GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G should be somewhat of a bump in performance against NVIDIA's own GTX 1080 Founders Edition, right? Well... that's something you'll have to see with our benchmarks, and final thoughts.
The First of a Wave of New GeForce GTX 1080s
Keep in mind that this is one of the first custom GeForce GTX 1080 cards after NVIDIA launched its own GTX 1080 Founders Edition a few weeks ago. The GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G won't be the best offering from MSI, with a future Lightning branded card to be expected, which should be one of the best GTX 1080 cards if MSI can really push the GP104 and GDDR5X to their limits with some crazy power requirements. But the performance will be oh so worth it.
Armed with the default 8-pin, and backed by an additional 6-pin PCIe power connector, we have much more power to play with when it comes to overclocking and the cooling performance. But is the performance there with the stock overclocking? What's the card like when it comes to thermal performance, and how loud it is under 100% load? This is where MSI shines with the GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G, with a card that performs better than the Founders Edition - even if it's just by a bit - but is completely silent under load; that's impressive.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction - The First Custom GTX 1080 We've Tested]
- Page 2 [MSI's Twin Frozr VI Cooler, Custom PCB, and RGBs]
- Page 3 [Detailed Look & Specifications]
- Page 4 [Testing Methodology & Test Setup Configuration]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks @ 1080p]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks @ 1440p]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks @ 4K]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - DX12 & OC Adventures]
- Page 10 [Power, Temperature & Noise]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Devil May Cry 5 trailer - V's demons & Dante's murderer?
- RDR2 is 1st in UK sales chart, Smash Ultimate drops to 4th
- Kingdom Hearts III - 'Final Battle' official trailer release
- Smash Bros. Ultimate bug: Isabelle's Infinite Assist trophy
- Villager & Isabelle bug crashes Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Z77, using sound card and onboard sound
- Convert EML file to PST file
- GROOVE X Introduce a New Companion Robot, 'LOVOT'
- New PhishER Product from KnowBe4 Helps Contain Email Threats
- Scientific Games Announces Settlement in Shuffle Tech Litigation
- Joy to the Streamers! 1,000 Dreams Fund Announces 'Stream The Halls' 24-Hour Holiday Charity Fundraiser on Twitch
- Gaming Innovation Group Inc.: Key Dates Announcement for Reverse Share Split