The Maximus VIII Extreme in its birthday suit.
Counting phases on the Z170 platform isn't as simple as it used to be. Four major voltage rails are present and on the Maximus VIII Extreme the CPU is fed by a 8 (VCC) + 4 (VCCGT) +1 (VCCSA) + 1 (VCCIO). Each phase consists of an integrated dual N-Channel MOSFET and is driven by an IR3535 single phase driver located on the back of the PCB. ASUS is using their new MicroFine Alloy Chokes designed with smaller, and more uniform, granules that result in more gaps, that increase permeability and result in a more stable magnetic field. The capacitors used are rated at 10K @ 95C, and many ROG fans refer to their color as "gunmetal black".
ASUS rebrands their PWMs, but I believe I can confirm that the two Digi+ PWMs on this motherboard used for the CPU VRM are in fact International Rectifier IR35201. They are using the same batch number styling as I have seen on IR35201 (look at the "C5216W" written at the bottom of the numbering). Nevertheless, the IR35201 is the top digital PWM used on Z170 motherboards designed for overclocking; it is almost like a pre-requisite for an overclocking motherboard as IR's reputation in the market is almost unrivaled. Recently, International Rectifier was acquired by Infineon, and ASUS is utilizing Infineon dual N-Channel MOSFETs. Each CPU VCore and iGPU phase gets its own Infineon OptiMOS BSC0812ND rated at 50A. Each OptiMOS has one high-side and one low-side MOSFET inside a single package and these are top notch parts, the best ASUS has used on a Z170 motherboard so far. I should also mention that there is zero phase doubling or sharing.
The tinier the MOSFET, the harder it is to identify, and since ASUS has also rebranded the memory PWM I don't know what they are using. It is safe to say that ASUS would not short change their Maximus VIII Extreme, and I would venture to guess that this two-phase memory VRM will fuel any DDR4 overclocking excursions. For extra BLCK overclocking, ASUS is utilizing an IDT6V41538NLG clock generator. For the VCCIO ASUS is utilizing a fully integrated TPS51362 10A converter. The VCCSA is powered by an Anpec single phase PWM and two PowerPAK MOSFETs.
ASUS's fan extension card has multiple circuits for fan control and temperature inputs including an NCT7802Y and a Winbond W83L6036.
ASUS had the Maximus VIII Extreme certified by Intel to support ThunderBolt 3.0. The new Thunderbolt specification requires higher quality power delivery and certification takes a long time that is possibly why we see motherboards with the technology coming to market only now. ASUS is using Intel's TB3/USB 3.1 chip previously known as Alpine Ridge. The marking L6540 is very similar to the DSL6540 found on other motherboards with Intel USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3.0. To support the type-C port and USB power delivery specifications, a Texas Instruments TPS65982 is utilized. I also spotted an EJ179S chip used to expand USB power delivery specifications.
PRICING: You can find the ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Extreme (Intel Z170) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Maximus VIII Extreme Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bad Habit release new trailer for Switch title Marble It Up!
- Keep calm as Dark Souls Remastered debuts to Nintendo Switch
- Android 17 officially joins Dragon Ball FighterZ roster
- Battlerite Royale Early Access trailer released
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, official launch trailer released
- Dial +1-844-319-0999 Dell technical support phone number for Dell help
- For Sale [10 Pieces] Apple iPhone Xs/Xs Max 64GB New $5,990CAD
- Recommendations replacing my Asus laptop Wifi adapter
- اقرب توكيل وايت ويل شبرا الخيمة (01225025360) توكيل ص¡
- EP2C602 wont post
- Xola Online Booking Platform Launches Travel Industry's First App Marketplace for In-Destination Tour and Activity Providers
- Creative's Super X-Fi Magical Headphone Holography Launches
- New ELiMENT Duplex LC Uniboot Connector Offers Highly Engineered Process and Ease of Installation
- Sevatec Announces Partnership with George Mason University
- VOTI DETECTION Announces the Launch of a Powerful Compact Table Top 3D Perspective X-Ray Security Scanner