Inside the 550M
Starting the teardown process, we now have the 550M in its two halves. There is a cable attached from the top, as there is a PCB with a few switches for button functionality.
Removing that PCB, we find W's inside of oval logos pasted on this trio of blue switches. All three of these are audible when used, and require quite a bit of force to activate, so there will be no accidental clicks.
Under the DPI button, we can see how the trigger is set up. The white section is made to slide to the back of the mouse and is spring loaded as well. So for this to work you fight the spring as well as the blue switch, making it near impossible to press without intention.
Under the left click button, we find it backed with a D2FC-F-7n Omron switch rated for five million clicks. Below that we see that the support tube for the USB cable is slid into clips and also sandwiched between PCBs, so it is very unlikely ever to come loose.
We could not find the typical sensor IC in the back of the 550M, so we took this photo to show how it is set up. Also, note that there are two large LEDs used at the back to illuminate that strip along the heel.
We did, however, manage to remove the actual sensor from the mouse. While the N1449T and the 805 mean very little, the S3988 at the bottom indicates the sensor used is indeed the Pixart SDNS 3988 optical sensor.
Here we have the same 32-bit ARM Cortex-0 MCU we found in the Corsair Strafe. Here it serves the same purpose to communicate with the PC, offers the LED and main controls via software, and is also where the onboard memory is located.
The right click button is also backed with the same Omron switch, but the scroll wheel click functionality has used another switch. Here we see a blue pad style switch with a rounded top, and is firm to press and offers an audible report of its use.
All back assembled and powered up for these photos, we can see the default orange color of the heel stripe LEDs. If you look off to the left, you can also see two of the DPI indicator lights lit as well.
From either side of the desk, you will walk up to a mouse that glows across the entire back side of it. Keep in mind, this can be set to any color you see fit to mix and match with products you may already have on your desk.
This last image shows off two points. We have raised the DPI level and now have three bars illuminated denoting our maximum DPI setting is operating. The second thing we noticed is that those bars are broken up into mini bars stacked up each strip for just a bit more flair to what is already a very slick looking product on its own.
PRICING: You can find the Cougar 550M Optical Gaming Mouse for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: The Cougar 550M Optical Gaming Mouse retails for £57 at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Latest Red Dead Redemption 2 patch downscales PS4 graphics
- System Shock 3 devs leave Starbreeze, game is 'halfway' done
- Valve release Dota 2 betting app feature 'Dota Plus'
- China hit Space industry milestone by launching 300th rocket
- New Octopath traveler game confirmed to be in development
- GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (VT-D Support)
- ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- here at personate in a apologetic irregardless by recognition
- foreign wish over wit at diggings in the incite
- Project Downfall - a retro-style, cyberpunk, reflex-based shooter now available on Early Access & coming to Xbox One & Switch. Preview copies await!
- Adventure Is Around Every Corner In One Piece World Seeker
- Ancestors Legacy is now available on GOG with Cross-play integration
- Buckle Up, Buttercup: Skybound And NMC Studios' Vehicular Battle Royale Game notmycar hits Steam Early Access April 5th
- Haggle Your Way to Riches in Bargain Hunter for Nintendo Switch