Test System Setup
Our Consumer NAS test 'system' is setup similar to what you have at home. Here we have the base of a ASUS Z97 USB 3.1, housing an Intel Core i7 4770 with 16GB of Patriot Viper DDR3 supporting. Our Operating System of choice is Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise, with all available updates and patches installed on a Crucial MX200 500GB SSD.
Over the last few years, we have seen quite a few QNAP appliances come through the lab. For the most part, setup has always been quite simple and the same can be said here today with the TVS-463. You can choose to either use the QNAP finder application or log in directly to web management to start setup.
Running through setup, you will be asked what type of RAID array you want.
After choosing our options and putting in some information, the NAS proceeded to setup. This part of the process took the longest as I want to say we were waiting here for a good 15- 20 minutes.
Logging into the NAS, we find the standard QTS layout, which is of course customizable as well.
In the end, a large part of a NAS appliance comes in the form of its applications. While many vendors have just a few apps to choose from, QNAP by far has the largest catalogue among top vendors.
A large part of the new QNAP platforms is the hybrid PC aspect. With Virtualization station as the base system, QNAP allows you to run a number of secondary operating systems within the NAS.
Setting up your Virtualization folder is the first part of setting up your secondary OS.
We then can enter the app and start setup by navigating the menu on the left.
There are some caveats to running a VM on the QNAP, the first being it is mandatory that you plug in both Ethernet cables as the second port is used for exclusive connectivity to your VM.
Above, we have setup a Windows 7 Virtual machine.
Installing HybridDesk Station is a must if you want to use your newly created VM as a PC with its own mouse, keyboard and monitor.
After setup has finished, you can choose to install a number of apps including QVM.
QVM is the application that allows you to access your virtual machine as a standalone solution with your keyboard, mouse and monitor.
PRICING: You can find the QNAP Turbo vNAS TVS-463 SMB NAS for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The QNAP Turbo vNAS TVS-463 SMB NAS retails for $749 at Amazon.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [QNAP TVS-463]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Management]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Single Client Throughput]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Workloads]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - SMB Workloads]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Digital PS4 game sales locked exclusively to PSN
- Enter the 'Spider-Verse' for our Spider-Man Blu-ray giveaway
- Epic Store has 85 million users
- Google Stadia only works with Pixel phones, Chromecast on TV
- Switch could use Microsoft voice chat technology
- Do anyone can help in converting Outlook PST Files into EML format
- vandafil advanced blend
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB795SP-B Review - 3.5" & 2.5" Single Bay
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced