Test System Setup
Our Consumer NAS test 'system' is setup similar to what you have at home. Here we have the base of a ASUS Z97 USB 3.1, housing an Intel Core i7 4770 with 16GB of Patriot Viper DDR3 supporting. Our Operating System of choice is Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise, with all available updates and patches installed on a Crucial MX200 500GB SSD.
Over the last few years, we have seen quite a few QNAP appliances come through the lab. For the most part, setup has always been quite simple and the same can be said here today with the TVS-463. You can choose to either use the QNAP finder application or log in directly to web management to start setup.
Running through setup, you will be asked what type of RAID array you want.
After choosing our options and putting in some information, the NAS proceeded to setup. This part of the process took the longest as I want to say we were waiting here for a good 15- 20 minutes.
Logging into the NAS, we find the standard QTS layout, which is of course customizable as well.
In the end, a large part of a NAS appliance comes in the form of its applications. While many vendors have just a few apps to choose from, QNAP by far has the largest catalogue among top vendors.
A large part of the new QNAP platforms is the hybrid PC aspect. With Virtualization station as the base system, QNAP allows you to run a number of secondary operating systems within the NAS.
Setting up your Virtualization folder is the first part of setting up your secondary OS.
We then can enter the app and start setup by navigating the menu on the left.
There are some caveats to running a VM on the QNAP, the first being it is mandatory that you plug in both Ethernet cables as the second port is used for exclusive connectivity to your VM.
Above, we have setup a Windows 7 Virtual machine.
Installing HybridDesk Station is a must if you want to use your newly created VM as a PC with its own mouse, keyboard and monitor.
After setup has finished, you can choose to install a number of apps including QVM.
QVM is the application that allows you to access your virtual machine as a standalone solution with your keyboard, mouse and monitor.
PRICING: You can find the QNAP Turbo vNAS TVS-463 SMB NAS for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The QNAP Turbo vNAS TVS-463 SMB NAS retails for $749 at Amazon.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [QNAP TVS-463]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Management]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Single Client Throughput]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Workloads]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - SMB Workloads]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Iron Harvest smashes through Kickstarter goal, $1m is close
- Warhammer: Vermintide 2 PC sales hit life-time revenue mark
- Dragon Ball FighterZ - Broly/Bardock DLC release date unveil
- Fortnite mobile makes $1 million in-app purchases in 3 days
- Brigitte Lindholm shield bashes into Overwatch, now live
- AMD Ryzen Master Utility Memory Access Mode Greyed Out ASROCK x399
- خدمه عملاء تكييفات باور & 01225025360 _01014723434 & اعطال باور
- ارقام تليفونات صيانه ال جى ( 01014723434 _ 01225025360 ) تكييفات ا
- Buy 5 Pieces Apple iPhone X 64GB New Unlocked $4,245
- NZXT H700i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit