Windows Storage Server 2012 has gained a lot of traction in the SMB NAS market over the last year. Regardless of how easy the Taiwanese NAS makers build a Linux interface, it's difficult for some system administrators to turn away from Windows. I can't say I blame them. Windows Storage Server fits into a Windows office seamlessly without any fuss.
Without any fuss could be the Buffalo TeraStation 5400r Rackmount WSS's motto... aside from the extremely long name. The server integrates well in a network full of Windows clients. With unlimited users and CIFS and iSCSI support, this system can easily become the center hub for your small office's storage. With up to 16TB of data capacity, the system has enough capacity to store a significant number of system backups, and with iSCSI, your office can work from the same server.
Hardware Specifications and Pricing
Modern NAS servers have moved beyond data storage through a wire network. In order to get the most out of a NAS, you need to look at the extra I/O hardware and the mountain of potential software features.
Through four drive bays, the Buffalo Technology TeraStation 5400r WSS supports RAID 0, 1, 5, or JBOD. Our system shipped with four Western Digital Green 2TB drives, making 8TB of total storage space. The operating system was preinstalled on the server, spread across two drives, and took up a total of 200GB. The system shipped with the storage configured in RAID 5. We feel most users will want to keep the server in RAID 5 for data redundancy purposes, and that's how we test four-bay systems.
The heart of the NAS is the Intel 2.13GHz Atom dual-core D2700 processor with HyperThreading. Playing a supporting role is 4GB of DDR3 DRAM. Connectivity comes from two gigabit Ethernet ports, two SATA 2.0 ports, and three SATA 3.0 ports.
Buffalo has four model numbers for the 5400r product line. Divided by capacity size, 8TB or 16TB, and operating system, the four combinations are the 5400r options available. Newegg Business actually shows a diskless version available as well for $1,949.99. After further investigation, we found six other product SKUs at Newegg Business under the Buffalo 5400r search term. Four of the systems have 2GB DRAM, and two systems have 4GB of DRAM with Windows Storage Server. The unit we're testing today tips the scales at an even $2,600 and uses four Western Digital Green 2TB HDDs. The larger 16TB model is available at Newegg Business as well for $3,599.99.
The TeraStation 5400r WSS ships with a three-year warranty, and Buffalo offers an additional two years of coverage for a fee. For the 5400r WSS, the extended two years comes out to $559.99. The system ships with everything you need to install the NAS in a 4-post rack, including rack rails.
PRICING: You can find the Buffalo TeraStation 5400r WSS (8TB) for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Buffalo TeraStation 5400r WSS (8TB) retails for $2,660.57 at Amazon.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 Ti teased with triple-fan cooler
- Bitcoin hits $6000, with $100 billion in value
- Galaxy S9: 6GB RAM, headphone jack is a selling point
- Mass Effect dev: EA only cares about highest returns
- Gabe Newell is the 427th richest person in the world
- ex58-UD3R rev 1.6
- RAID on a new X370 Fatal1ty Gaming X with m.2 SSDs using a PCIe card.
- LGA-775 GA-EP35-DS3P (rev 2.1), Q9550 e0 overclocking advice please?
- Will the PC-A76 accept a Tyan TYAN S7100 (S7100AG2NR) SSI EEB Mother board?
- MSI Z370 GODLIKE GAMING Motherboard Review
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard