MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming Motherboard
Taking a look at the motherboard, you can see the black and red color scheme, which matches the packaging. You can also see the dragon logo which is associated with the Gaming Series name on a heatsink towards the bottom right corner.
When it comes to the expansion slots, you can see we've got four PCIe x1 slots, along with three PCIe x16 slots. If one card is installed, the top slot will run at x16. If two cards are installed, both will run at x8. If you install three cards, the top slot will be x8, while the other two slots will run at x4.
Taking a look across the bottom of the board you can see we've got power, reset and OC Genie buttons towards the left hand side. Moving slightly over, you can see the LED debug reader that makes trouble shooting any problems easier. You can also see we've got three USB 2.0 headers and the front panel connectors.
Turning the corner, you can see we've got eight SATA III ports. Six of them run off the Intel Z87 controller, while the other two (SATA7-8) run off the ASMedia ASM 1061 chipset. To the right hand side, you can see we've got a USB 3.0 header.
Moving up towards the top of the board you can see four DIMM slots supporting up to 32GB of DDR3 at speeds ranging from 1066MHz all the way up to 3000MHz DDR via overclocking. Around here you can also see the main 24-pin ATX power connector, and next to that the V-Check points, which are used in conjunction with the V-Check cables that we saw in the package on the last page.
Moving around to the CPU area, you can see the 8-pin CPU power connector and the CPU area itself, which is quite clean. Taking a closer look at the heatsink design, you can see we've got a pretty neat looking setup with a heat pipe connecting the two heat sinks.
Before we move onto the I/O side of things, we move just below the CPU area and above the PCIe x16 slot. Here you can see that MSI has chosen to include an mSATA port, which we'll be testing out today later in this review. What's really good about this mSATA port, though, is that it's a SATA III type, which supports up to 6 Gb/s.
Finishing up with the I/O side of things, you can see we've got a combo PS/2 port, along with two USB 2.0 connectors. Continuing to move across we have a clear CMOS button, Optical and Coaxial Out, which along with the six Auxiliary ports at the end of the board all run off the Realtek ALC1150 codec.
Video out options come from VGA and DVI-D, along with a HDMI port sitting a little further along. Gigabit networking is provided via the Killer E2205 controller and rounding things off you can see we've got a total of four USB 3.0 connectors.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming Motherboard]
- Page 3 [BIOS]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [mSATA Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Diablo III once resembled Diablo II
- Final Fantasy XIV's new expansion is called Shadowbringers
- Cliffy B is done making games
- Devil May Cry TV show coming to Netflix
- Sony skips E3 2019 for PlayStation-centric showcase
- Z390 Taichi Onboard LED issue
- Z77-D3H MB and bizzare boot issue
- HyperX Gaming microSD 128GB Review
- FS:[20Pieces] Apple iPhone XR.Xs.Xs Max 64/256/512GB.$8,980
- Kolumno is now available on PC, mobile and Smart TVs
- Wolfalone Studio announces Darwin's Test!
- World's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale NowWorld's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale Now
- Nexon Secures Global Publishing Rights For Pokelabo, Square Enix-Developed SinoAlice
- Makeblock Announces Educational Partnership with Gratnells Storage Solutions