Another day goes by and we take the time to test out another motherboard based on the latest Z87 chipset form Intel. Today we're looking at an offering from MSI which is under the newer MPOWER name. This isn't the first time we've seen MSI use this name, as late last year we saw the company release the MSI Z77 MPOWER.
The new series brought with it a strong performing motherboard, along with a new look for the company. Impressed with what it was offering, we're looking forward to see what MSI has done with the name on the latest generation Intel chipset. Recently we've seen the company really try to show us something a little different and almost try to rebrand itself.
The new Gaming series brings a feeling of unity between the video card and motherboard segments of MSI as products under both categories are part of the one series. The MPOWER name helps differentiate itself by letting us know that they sit at the top of the pyramid for MSI. We'd really like to see the company bring something like the "Lightning" series of video cards under the same MPOWER name and really create some synergy between both product categories.
The new "POWER" series of boards from MSI currently consists of three Z87 based models. We've got the Z87 XPOWER, along with the Z87 MPOWER and MPOWER MAX, with us today looking at the latter.
As we flip over the "M" you can see we get some information on the actual motherboard including the Military Class 4 components, which include Hi-c CAP, Dark CAP, SFC and OC PCB. Some of the other major highlights included Enhanced Power including a Dual 8-pin CPU Power Connectors, Enhanced Thermal via a new heatsink designed, Enhanced BIOS including Click BIOS 4 and OC Essentials which include Direct OC, Easy Button 3 and V-Check Points to name just a few of the features. We'll be checking some of these out a little more when we move onto the board itself.
As we move onto the other side you can see we get our first look at the board. With only part of it being seen via the "M" cut out, though, we don't get the best look. Turning over to the back you can see we've got the main specifications at the bottom, a number of logos in regards to the features that are offered and again some of the main features are highlighted in the overclocking ability, stability and enhanced PWM cooling.
Moving inside the box you can see we've got an absolute ton of paperwork covering many aspects of the board. You can also see we've got a couple of discs including drivers and utilities and one of the new "G" Series case stickers.
Moving into the cable side of things you can see we've got six SATA cables along with an eSATA cable and a power cable. Across the bottom you can see the rear I/O panel and a single SLI bridge.
Other extras include a pair of USB 3.0 and eSATA headers, Wi-Fi / BT card along with two antennas, V-Check point cables and a pair of EZ-Connectors to make hooking up everything that little bit easier. The bundle from the MSI MPOWER MAX really is quite large and one of the largest we've seen so far when it comes to the new Z87 platform.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [MSI MPOWER MAX Motherboard]
- Page 3 [BIOS]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [mSATA Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Take-Two CEO gets bonuses based on microtransaction earnings
- YouTuber makes working PC out of lasagna
- Halo 6 won't have battle royale, 343i reiterates
- Genesis Mini's classic games library is shaping up nicely
- Leaked Left 4 Dead 3 screenshots show Middle Eastern theme
- NVMe NAS Cache: Higher Speed or More Capacity?
- Massage salon
- Scythe Kaze Flex 120 RGB Fan Review
- Synology DS1019 NAS Review
- BIOS settings CPU Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4, x470
- Cooperative Level-Building Platformer Levelhead Launches into Steam Early Access Today
- Epic Games announce Fortnite World Cup - Creative!
- JUMP FORCE DLC Character Lineup Announced By Bandai Namco Entertainment America
- A New Hero Class Lays Track in Torchlight Frontiers - Meet The Railmaster!
- Plague Inc: Armageddon, the first expansion to Plague Inc: The Board Game, is now live on Kickstarter!