There are a couple of ways to use your Akitio MyCloud Duo. The first is on your personal intranet, inside of your router with your home devices. These are your typical NAS functions.
NAS servers have been around for ages and they have always been 'web enabled'. Their cloud functions were always tedious to setup since you needed to setup ports in your router, DNS forwarding and a number of other settings. You still need to set your router, but advances in router technology make the process easier. The NAS is even easier to setup with the configuration wizard.
Getting into the system is supposed to be fairly straight forward if you know the IP address. Here you can see that right from the start the MyCloud Duo didn't like playing nice with us. This was an intermittent issue. We'll discuss it in more detail later in the review.
Once inside the NAS you have a decent user interface, but it is fairly slow and you have to poke around to find what you want. This is a lot like the interface you also get when connected via the cloud.
Setting up your array is straight forward and easy. We chose to just use the AUTO function since we wanted redundant data. The NAS did take a very long time to perform the array build, something we didn't expect from a two drive, RAID 1 array.
Once everything was configured, programmed, arrays built we were able to spend time with the user interface. One thing we didn't like though was not having the ability to drag and drop to the interface window. Most NAS appliances don't allow you to do that either, but most are not built so heavily around a web interface either.
My Network Places wasn't much of a help either as the MyCloud Duo rarely appeared here. From time to time it did show up. We ended up just mapping a few folders in My Computer so we could access data and start our testing.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- SEGA teases upcoming Sonic Racing game information
- Intel's new Coffee Lake-based 8C/16T chip spotted again
- GeForce GTX 1050 3GB released: 768 CUDA cores, 96-bit bus
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 locked at 60FPS on all consoles
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4 in 2019 with single-player
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 (www.BizFests.com) 64GB $1,595
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB SM-G960UZKAXAA $1,595
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- If I use the M2_1 slot in the x470 Taichi Ultimate ,will it take away PCIE lanes from the GPU?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit