There are a couple of ways to use your Akitio MyCloud Duo. The first is on your personal intranet, inside of your router with your home devices. These are your typical NAS functions.
NAS servers have been around for ages and they have always been 'web enabled'. Their cloud functions were always tedious to setup since you needed to setup ports in your router, DNS forwarding and a number of other settings. You still need to set your router, but advances in router technology make the process easier. The NAS is even easier to setup with the configuration wizard.
Getting into the system is supposed to be fairly straight forward if you know the IP address. Here you can see that right from the start the MyCloud Duo didn't like playing nice with us. This was an intermittent issue. We'll discuss it in more detail later in the review.
Once inside the NAS you have a decent user interface, but it is fairly slow and you have to poke around to find what you want. This is a lot like the interface you also get when connected via the cloud.
Setting up your array is straight forward and easy. We chose to just use the AUTO function since we wanted redundant data. The NAS did take a very long time to perform the array build, something we didn't expect from a two drive, RAID 1 array.
Once everything was configured, programmed, arrays built we were able to spend time with the user interface. One thing we didn't like though was not having the ability to drag and drop to the interface window. Most NAS appliances don't allow you to do that either, but most are not built so heavily around a web interface either.
My Network Places wasn't much of a help either as the MyCloud Duo rarely appeared here. From time to time it did show up. We ended up just mapping a few folders in My Computer so we could access data and start our testing.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Oculus founder has a new company, working on VR still
- Intel Core i7-8700K overclocked reaches 4.8GHz on air
- Intel Coffee Lake-S: flagship 8700K CPU, 40 PCIe lanes
- Ethereum mining difficulty reaches lofty new heights
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10 series pricing to continue rising
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 4K Blu-ray Review
- Upgrading USB ports on top of case
- Areca ARC-8050T3 12-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID DAS Review
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card
- G.Skill releases AMD Ryzen-optimized Trident Z RGB DDR4 memory
- Hear the difference feel the beat of the DRUM