Today a lot of our focus will be put on the system when we've got a standalone video card in the picture, in this case the Radeon HD 6970. With a large focus with what's going on with the "CPU" tasks and how it handles stuff in synthetic benchmarks like HyperPI and AIDA64, to how it goes in real world environments like MediaEspresso and Aliens vs. Predator.
We'll be covering our A8-3850 in both stock form and overclocked which we'll discuss in just a second, but for good measure we've included the Phenom II X4 965 and Phenom II X6 from AMD to see how the new APU goes today while also including an i3 2120, i5 2500k and i7 2600k.
The multiple CPU types mean we've got a couple of different motherboards on hand. For our Intel processors we're using the new Maximus IV Gene-Z which is based on the Z68 chipset and we're yet to review. Keep your eyes peeled for that review in the next few weeks. For our Phenom based CPUs, we're using the ASUS Crosshair V Formula based on the 990FX chipset. As for the A8-3850, that's going into our ASUS F1A75-V Pro based on the A75 chipset which we have detailed a few pages back.
Looking below, you can see our CPU-Z screenshot. On the left we've got CPU-Z with our CPU running at stock. You can see we've got a stock speed of 2.9GHz; that's achieved with a 29x multiplier and a 100MHz bus speed. The default voltage on our APU is 1.4v and you can see that its code name is Llano, Socket FM1 and Radeon HD Graphics is in the specifications.
On the right hand side you can see our overclock. What we ended up doing was dropping the multiplier down to 28x and increasing the bus speed to 125MHz. This resulted in our A8-3850 running at 3.5GHz at 1.5v. We didn't want to go too crazy with voltage and because we're dealing with some new kind of architecture, we didn't want to mess around too much with them either. We figured a 600MHz clock is a nice increase, though, bringing us into the 3GHz+ range. We did get around the 3.6GHz mark at 1.5v, but CINEBENCH actually didn't want to play nice so we pulled it back just a little.
Well, that just about covers everything related to the testing side of things. So with all that said, let's not delay any longer and see just what the A8-3850 can do for us in our lineup of benchmarks today.
Let's get started!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The A55 and A75 Chipsets]
- Page 3 [The A55 and A75 Chipsets Continued]
- Page 4 [The APU - What it's about]
- Page 5 [APU Models and our A8-3850]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 7 [PCMark 7 and HyperPi]
- Page 8 [AIDA64]
- Page 9 [PassMark PerformanceTest]
- Page 10 [CINEBENCH, Adobe Lightroom and MediaEspresso]
- Page 11 [3DMark 11 and Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 12 [Power]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA teases 'something Super is coming' - Super GeForce?
- Cyberpunk 2077 may launch with next-gen consoles in 2020
- Secretlab's 2020 series raises the gaming chair bar, AGAIN
- Mighty Quest For Epic Loot app pre-orders now available
- League of Legends to go mobile, creation already under way
- Type SanDisk Extreme 1TB microSD Review
- Problems with ryzen 5 2400g and ASRock B450M-HLD R4.0
- PNY Elite 512GB microSD Review
- ADATA XPG Spectrix D60G DDR4-3000 32GB Memory Kit Review
- ASUS Prime Z390-A Owners or CS Plz help!
- Fool! - Jest your way from obscurity to royal acclaim!
- Captain Hector Barbossa's Shade Joins the Caribbean
- Acer Announces new Nitro 5 and Swift 3 Notebooks Powered by 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen Mobile Processors
- Global Mobile ESports Event, Summoners War World Arena Championship, Held For 3rd Consecutive Year!
- A Perpetual Age Of Darkness Looms As Human Head Studios Announces Viking Action RPG Rune II To Launch Summer 2019