PCMark Vantage re-visited
There are times when new things are not always better things. When we received our sample of the MSI Big Bang X58 Xpower motherboard we also received a burned DVD with drivers on it. There was no retail driver installation DVD. It turns out that these drivers were not full release versions. In fact, the Intel INF driver was not even available on Intel's website. The current version there is 126.96.36.1999, whilst the version on the disk was 188.8.131.527.
This version caused some pretty big troubles for us during our testing. It turns out the 184.108.40.2067 drivers do not like PCMark at all. As you read in our original PCMark Vantage test results, we saw simply awful scores on this one test. The rest of the tests were pretty much right on the money.
After working with MSI for the better part of a week and trying two brand new BIOS files, we finally started playing with drivers. We uninstalled and reinstalled the USB 3.0 drivers, the Marvell drivers, the audio drivers and then we attacked the INF.
When we went to reinstall them we found that the version numbers were way off. This was not what we expected; after all, the installation utility looked like the final version and everything else worked. On a whim we let the installer overwrite the newer files with the older ones from MSI's website and to our great surprise the scores suddenly fell where they were supposed to.
So, for now we can show you that the MSI Big Bang Xpower can run PCMark Vantage. It is not as fast as the ASUS board at stock speeds (for PCMark), but it is certainly very agile and gives us good results. We also saw when using the proper retail drivers it fixed the issues we had with USB 3.0. So the moral in this story; never assume the disk sent to you has the right drivers. Check and double check!
As you can see, it made a rather big difference and proved our initial feeling that the PCMark performance issue was something simple. We ran all of the other tests at stock speeds and they were within 3% of the original scores. We cannot tell you why this newer driver did not like PCMark Vantage, but it didn't and we can say that if you pick up one of these boards retail you will not have this issue, as the driver included with the retail drivers DVD is the 220.127.116.119 that is on Intel's and MSI's website.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard]
- Page 4 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and Comments]
- Page 6 [Synthetic Tests - Part I]
- Page 7 [Synthetic Tests - Part II]
- Page 8 [Synthetic Tests - Part III]
- Page 9 [Real-World Tests - Part I]
- Page 10 [Real-World Tests Part II]
- Page 11 [Power Usage and Heat Tests]
- Page 12 [Final Thoughts]
- Page 13 [Update: PCMark Vantage re-visited]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- SEGA won't over rely on remasters and remakes
- Hacked Switches can now use USB mass storage HDDs
- Battlefield V's new War Stories trailer shows WWII drama
- No Man's Sky VR? Hello Games wants to know if you want it
- Sony fixes PSN message glitch
- ASRock A320M-DGS + Ryzen 5 2600 budget upgrade with older video card?
- Default Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Review: The Perfect Card For 1440p
- Computer will not turn on.
- Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- Zombidle: Fun With Surgery Is An Update With A Lot of Guts
- Theia Wallet Announced the 1.0 Version Beta Test, Supports BTC
- Orion Health launches Amadeus CORE to help healthcare sector leverage data analytics and machine learning
- Epson Booth to Feature Partners with latest POS Solutions at Money20/20
- Raybaby announces launch on Amazon