Jedi: Fallen Order is optimized to push the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X to their limits.
Respawn's new singleplayer-only Star Wars game will have to separate modes on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X: a mode that prioritizes resolution with upscaled 4K visuals at 30FPS, and a performance mode that hits 1080p 60FPS.
This is basically par for the course for current-gen games, and it's also likely Jedi: Fallen Order will hit close or even full native 3840x2160p on the Xbox One X. The PlayStation 4 Pro on the other hand will be upscaled 4K (likely from 1400p or thereabouts) due to its comparatively weaker hardware. Hopefully the game won't make the PS4 Pro sound like a jet about to take off.
Base PS4 and Xbox One consoles will be locked at 1080p 30FPS, however, which is a bummer considering the game is heavily action-oriented with intense boss fight sequences. Jedi: Fallen Order's cinematic scope and the limitations of each console are the likely culprits.
PC will of course have uncapped frame rates and a ton of other optimizations, all wrapped with rather lenient spec requirements.
What we know about Jedi: Fallen Order:
- Takes place between Episode III and Episode IV when the Jedi were being exterminated
- Multi-planet traversal
- Sekiro-like combat system with no stamina bar
- New Force powers including time-slowing
- Can level up abilities
- Movie-like action sequences
- Singleplayer-only, no MP or online elements
- No crafting
- Uncharted-like exploration and environment traversal
- Metroidvania elements have you revisiting areas
- Huge Dark Souls-like boss battles
- Darth Vader may show up
Jedi: Fallen Order releases on November 15, 2019 on PS4, Xbox One and PC.
Check below for more information:
A galaxy-spanning adventure awaits in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, a new third-person action-adventure title from Respawn Entertainment. This narratively driven, single-player game puts you in the role of a Jedi Padawan who narrowly escaped the purge of Order 66 following the events of Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith. On a quest to rebuild the Jedi Order, you must pick up the pieces of your shattered past to complete your training, develop new powerful Force abilities and master the art of the iconic lightsaber - all while staying one step ahead of the Empire and its deadly Inquisitors.
While mastering your abilities, players will engage in cinematically charged lightsaber and Force combat designed to deliver the kind of intense Star Wars lightsaber battles as seen in the films. Players will need to approach enemies strategically, sizing up strengths and weaknesses while cleverly utilizing your Jedi training to overcome your opponents and solve the mysteries that lay in your path.
Star Wars fans will recognize iconic locations, weapons, gear and enemies while also meeting a roster of fresh characters, locations, creatures, droids and adversaries new to Star Wars. As part of this authentic Star Wars story, fans will delve into a galaxy recently seized by the Empire. As a Jedi hero-turned-fugitive, players will need to fight for survival while exploring the mysteries of a long-extinct civilization all in an effort to rebuild the remnants of the Jedi Order as the Empire seeks to erase the Jedi completely.
- Cinematic, Immersive Combat - Jedi: Fallen Order delivers the fantasy of becoming a Jedi through its innovative lightsaber combat system-striking, parrying, dodging-partnered with a suite of powerful Force abilities you'll need to leverage to overcome obstacles that stand in your way. This combat system is intuitive but takes training and practice to fully master its nuances as you gain new powers and abilities along your adventure.
- A New Jedi Story Begins - As a former Padawan on the run from the Empire, you must complete your training before Imperial Inquisitors discover your plan to revive the Jedi Order. Aided by a former Jedi Knight, a cantankerous pilot and a fearless droid, you must escape the evil machinations of the Empire in a story-driven adventure. Explore and overcome a wide range of challenges focused on combat, exploration and puzzle-solving.
- The Galaxy Awaits - Ancient forests, windswept rock faces and haunted jungles are all unique biomes you'll explore in Jedi: Fallen Order, with the freedom to decide when and where you go next. As you unlock new powers and abilities, opportunities open up to re-traverse maps in new ways; leveraging the Force to augment the way you explore. Move quickly, however, as the Empire is actively hunting your every step in their effort to exterminate all remnants of the Jedi Order.
- >> NEXT STORY: Switch hits 15 million sales in North America, or 40% of global sales
- << PREVIOUS STORY: Modern Warfare lootboxes won't ever happen, Activision promises