Razer's new revenue scheme gives you premium currency if you let it use your GPU for blockchain mining.
Today Razer announced SoftMiner, a new way to indirectly monetize gamers while rewarding them with digital goods. Essentially Razer is asking to use your GPU to slowly mine crypto with a new program, and in exchange it'll give you Z Silver based on how many blocks you let it mine per day. Z Silver can be used to buy apparel, gift cards, and Razer peripherals like keyboards. The tech is powered by Gamma's technology that rewards you for tapping idle GPU power.
"When your computer is idle, the Razer SoftMiner desktop application utilizes your idle GPU processing power to supplement distributed network needs for the mining process. You will be rewarded with Razer Silver, which varies depending on the amount of idle time and strength of your hardware or graphics card," Razer wrote on the announcement page.
Let's take a quick look at the economics. Razer says users can earn up to 500 Z Silver a day. Unlocking a premium keyboard like t he Razer Huntsman Elite, which costs 196,000 Z Silver (retailing for $199), would take about 392 days to unlock. Ouch.
Last updated: Sep 25, 2019 at 11:56 pm CDT
- Razer Basilisk Ultimate is customization & high performance all-in-one
- Razer's new Blade 15 gaming laptops: everything you need to know
- Microsoft patent: mine crypto with your body while watching ads
- Razer CEO threatened and abused staff, wanted to be 'Asian Steve Jobs'
- Razer unveils new flagship Basilisk Ultimate wireless gaming mouse
- > NEXT STORY: Fortnite was 15th most searched for term on Pornhub in 2018
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Xbox One sells estimated 40 million consoles