AMD has already shaken up the enthusiast market with their 8C/16T flagship Ryzen 7 1800X processor, and now the Ryzen 5 family - which will aim directly at Intel's current-gen Core i3 and more importantly - Core i5 market.
Ryzen 5 processors will be cheaper, and offer more CPU threads for the money than any Core i3 or Core i5 processor - with the flagship Ryzen 5 1600X arriving as a 6C/12T processor at 4GHz for just $249. Intel has its Core i5-7600K with 4C/8T at $239 right now on Amazon, meaning AMD offers 4 additional CPU threads with Ryzen 5 1600X at just $10 more - or, the cheaper Ryzen 5 1600 with 6C/12T and its lower price of $219.
AMD will be launching its Ryzen 5 family of processors on April 11, but some retailers are selling the CPUs early - with resellers in Europe already selling Ryzen 5 chips. Someone posted on Reddit, saying that someone purchased a Ryzen 5 1600 processor in Brazil.
Last updated: Sep 1, 2017 at 05:21 am CDT
- AMD steps it up (again) with next-gen Ryzen Threadripper packaging
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X: 64C/128T launches January 2020
- Amazon's best Cyber Monday deals on AMD CPUs, save up to 53%!
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990WX: 64C/128T for your next desktop?!
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X specs: 64C/128T, 288MB cache, 280W TDP
- > NEXT STORY: WikiLeaks: Apple Mac, iPhone firmware hacked by CIA
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Madcatz delisted from New York Stock Exchange