The Coalition, the studio behind Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, has said that the PC version of the game, is not a port. The developer has said that while it's super-enhanced, it's "authored at a much higher rate".
We have 4K textures in nearly everything, and for the PC they could just "turn off those clamps and unlock it fully, and the world just becomes super crisp". The studio were teasing the game at Comic-Con, where Gears of War: Ultimate Edition was shown off in 4K on a huge 70-inch TV.
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition is an exclusive Windows 10 release, where it will be making use of DirectX 12. This means we're going to have improved performance when 4K is turned on, but we're also going to see 90 minutes of new campaign content for the PC version of the game, remastered Dolby 7.1 Surround audio, and much more.
Here's a full list:
- Remastered for Dolby 7.1 Surround
- 90 mins of new campaign content from the original PC game
- New Xbox Live achievements (1,250 Gamerscore)
- Concept art gallery and unlockable comics
- Modernized Multiplayer featuring:
- 60 frames per second
- Dedicated servers
- Skill-based matchmaking
- New game types - Team Deathmatch, King of the Hill (Gears of War 3 style), and new 2v2 Gnasher Execution
- Total of 19 maps, including all DLC and PC-exclusive maps
- 17 unlockable Gears of War 3 characters for Multiplayer progression
- More Match customization including Actives, Respawn Time, Self-revive and Weapon Respawn
- Modernized gameplay with smoother movement and updated controls:
- Alternate Controls and all new Tournament Controls
- All controls tuned for Xbox One
- Adding the Gears of War 3 features you love: Enemy Spotting,
- Multiplayer Tac-Com, Improved sensitivity customization
- >> NEXT STORY: 'Force Awakens' behind the scenes reel excites
- << PREVIOUS STORY: FIFA 16 is DX11 only, also requires 64-bit version of Windows