HTC is planning to unveil a waterproof camera to compete against GoPro. The smartphone maker sent invites for a press event named 'Double Exposure' that will be held on October 8th in New York. The Taiwan-based smartphone maker made it obvious that this would be a camera-specific release, but the company's plans seem to have leaked ahead of schedule.
According to the source, HTC will be unveiling two of its devices. One will be an extreme sports camera which is aimed to go head-to-head against a well-known player, GoPro. The second device is a smartphone made for selfie shots.
Its said that HTC will be implementing a 16-megapixel sensor with an ultra-wide angle lens. This yet-to-be-named tube-shaped camera will need to paired with either Android or iOS device via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi wireless connectivity. As one would expect from an action camera made for extreme sports, it will be rugged and waterproof. HTC will also be making apps for android and iOS device to pair with this camera.
HTC is also planning to show-off its new smartphone made for selfies on the same date. The source pointed that HTC delayed the development of its version of its wearable devices, and as a result would be unveiling its own Android-powered smartwatch by early 2015. On the other hand, another report contradicts HTC's plans to pursue wearable tech.
- HTC launching 3 new VR headsets, just in time for Half-Life: Alyx
- Oppo smartphone patent teases first side-mounted pop-up camera
- Best Buy's top holiday deals - save up to $600 on SSDs and cameras
- NASA's Curiosity Rover did rare science work, then snapped a selfie
- PlayStation 5's first external SSD possibly teased
- > NEXT STORY: Oculus to release its consumer-ready VR headset in beta form in 2015
- < PREVIOUS STORY: DisplayPort 1.3 announced, supports 5K, as well as 4K at 120Hz