Overclocking Supermicro Z390
Today we will be describing in detail how to easily overclock the new 9th generation hexa and octa-core Intel CPUs on Supermicro Z390 motherboards. We will work specifically with Supermicro's C9Z390-PGW, which is their top of the line motherboard. Don't be fooled by its six-phase VRM, it currently holds the top LN2 Intel® 9th Gen Core™ i9-9900K OC record at 7.115GHz, and it uses top of the line server grade components you won't typically find on other motherboards. While many of you might not be familiar with Supermicro's UEFI, we are, so we are going to walk you through overclocking on this motherboard.
The Flow Chart
Overclocking is simple; you set a multiplier and a voltage, then you run a test, if that test fails you either add more voltage, reduce frequency, or increase cooling. There are some other tricks this round, such as adjusting up Tjmax (Intel added this for Z390 specifically to increase thermal throttle point), setting an AVX offset, and increasing power limits. The hardest part of overclocking for most people might just be finding a good starting point.
Our CPU is capable of 5GHz AVX and 5.2GHz non-AVX (can call it SSE) under very stressful conditions, and our CPU can even run benchmarks such as the Blender Benchmark and programs like Handbrake, both of which use AVX, at 5.2GHz, but Prime95 with AVX is hard to run at 5.2GHz. You might want to use that as some sort of guide point for what you might expect. Now, we will use the Intel® 9th Gen Core™ i9-9900K as our example in this guide, and by default all core Turbo of the Intel® 9th Gen Core™ i9-9900K is 4.7GHz, meaning all cores can operate at 4.7GHz all the time.
Supermicro's C9Z390-PGW motherboard fully supports this, and so you should aim for 5GHz stable if you have watercooling. You can start VCore at 1.25v at 5GHz, but you will probably find you need bumps towards 1.3v to run Prime95 with AVX. We don't really recommend taking VCCSA or VCCIO over 1.3v, we like 1.25v each as maximum. Supermicro's auto rules will set these higher, so you will need to alter those values down. We also found that VCore over 1.3v was a bit tough to cool with watercooling, so you might want to look towards deliding or lapping if you want to push more voltage.
Many users prefer videos, so we made a video for those people describing how to overclock with this motherboard.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Supermicro Z390 9th Gen OC Guide retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Supermicro Z390 9th Gen OC Guide retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction to Overclocking, and The Flow Chart, and Video]
- Page 2 [Disclaimer and Before You Begin Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Using Supermicro's UEFI and Configuring Your CPU]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Apex Legends first Battle Pass launches on March 19
- Unity teams with NVIDIA for RTX-based real-time ray tracing
- This Millennium Falcon SNES, NES console is epic
- Starfield could be the star of Bethesda's E3 2019
- Information that your Internet Service Provider stores
- GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (VT-D Support)
- ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- here at personate in a apologetic irregardless by recognition
- foreign wish over wit at diggings in the incite
- Project Downfall - a retro-style, cyberpunk, reflex-based shooter now available on Early Access & coming to Xbox One & Switch. Preview copies await!
- Adventure Is Around Every Corner In One Piece World Seeker
- Ancestors Legacy is now available on GOG with Cross-play integration
- Buckle Up, Buttercup: Skybound And NMC Studios' Vehicular Battle Royale Game notmycar hits Steam Early Access April 5th
- Haggle Your Way to Riches in Bargain Hunter for Nintendo Switch