On May 15, we sat in on a conference call with AMD to learn all about High Bandwidth Memory. If you haven't heard about HBM and our flurry of news posts on the exciting new memory for GPUs, this article will provide you with everything you need to know. HBM is an important step for AMD, as it is powering its upcoming Radeon R9 390X, with its new Fiji architecture.
AMD has spent the last seven years on the development of HBM, with the motivation behind it being that they wanted to solve one of the bigger problems of the future at the time - bandwidth - which was something that had to be solved, period. Performance-per-watt is very important to both AMD and NVIDIA, and the use of HBM is one of the key ways of getting there.
The development of HBM has taken close to a decade, and has its own unique challenges thanks to it being a very high density interconnect. But, the payoff would allow AMD to build many devices, from smaller APUs to the big bad flagship GPUs that we should expect with the upcoming Radeon R9 390X.
With GDDR5 'entering the inefficient region of the power/performance curve' as you can see in the above shot from AMD's slide, HBM is needed now, more than ever.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [GDDR5 is Nearly Dead & Introducing the Interposer]
- Page 3 [HBM Explained]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Path of Exile 2019 roadmap detailed
- Microsoft calls Project xCloud its 'Netflix for games'
- Blizzard hiring 17 devs for new Diablo game
- Overkill's The Walking Dead delayed on PS4, Xbox One
- Ronda Rousey will voice Sonya Blade in Mortal Kombat XI
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Western Digital Black SN750 SSD Review
- Trident Z Royal DDR4-4000 16GB Memory Kit Review
- HP EX950 SSD Review - When you want the fastest
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media