What kind of experience does it require?
We suggest that if you're completely new to model planes, not only should you search YouTube for the hundreds of various beginner flight guides, but you should also look into planes that are very slow flying. They might seem boring at first, but your wallet will thank you dearly when a 2mph crash only bends a propeller, compared to this family friend of mine wiping out his whole project in spectacular fashion, pounding the ground at over 30mph.
If an investment in the hundreds isn't on the cards just yet, you can get your hands-on plenty of model flight simulators that actually utilize your real life model aircraft controllers plugged into a computer via adapters to simulate real flight circumstances. There is a myriad of different plane and helicopter options on offer, seeing you be able to pick different weather conditions and locations to further train and test your mettle before taking to the real-life skies.
One of the main programs available is Real Flight, which gives users different challenges to complete in order to gain more skills 'behind the sticks' of your aircraft. If you're worried about legitimacy, my father actually used Real Flight 4 to train himself in the art of flying radio controlled helicopters, and now he's just as good as anyone else out 'in the wild'.
Once you've gotten some experience and are interested in conducting your own FPV flight, we suggest that you have a few friends around to keep a look-out and head to a nice open area to begin flight. As you can see through most of the videos I have linked above, they're conducted at the top of a cliff overlooking the ocean as power-lines are not your friend!
Good luck and enjoy your FPV flight. We'd love to see some fan-made pictures and videos from your journey, and I hope that this article has helped convince you to take the plunge into the expansive world of model flight. Please be aware that it is not for the feint of heart, as many hours of design, production and building goes into making a perfect flying vessel - this is coupled with the fact that FPV technology is new and not very cheap at its current standing.
What we're saying here is, if you're interested - don't apply the brakes, just go full steam ahead!
On a last note, please ensure you read up on your local aviation rules regarding model or drone flight. We've reported recently on a man who almost ran into a police officer and interrupted a whole operation thanks to his drone piloting experience going pear-shaped.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Every character trailer for Soulcalibur VI/combat tutorial
- Job J Stauffer reveals his experience working at Rockstar
- Fox flies Starlink: Battle for Atlas onto Nintendo Switch
- Ubisoft release For Honor 'Marching Fire' gameplay trailer
- Spider-Man 'The Heist' DLC adds 3 suits, October 23rd launch
- Inland Processional 3D NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe Gen 3 Review
- ASRock A320M-DGS + Ryzen 5 2600 budget upgrade with older video card?
- Default Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Review: The Perfect Card For 1440p
- Computer will not turn on.
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam