Today we're going to RAID 0 a pair of Samsung's newest SSD's for your viewing pleasure. So far Samsung is the only player to implement TLC (Triple Level Cell) NAND technology into a retail product. Samsung is looking to revolutionize solid state storage by producing products that have more capacity at a lower cost.
Samsung first introduced us to TLC based solid state drives with their original SSD 840. Samsung's SSD 840 proved to be a solid performer as well as a very reliable platform. Samsung proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that TLC NAND is a totally viable option for consumer based storage implementation.
Samsung's recently launched SSD 840 EVO is a second generation TLC based SSD. Building on the success of the original SSD 840, Samsung is taking TLC implementation to a whole new level. EVO stands for "evolution", so, as you might guess, Samsung is billing their new SSD 840 EVO as "the next evolution in solid state storage".
What makes the EVO the next evolution in solid state storage? In my opinion, the most important technology implemented into the EVO is what Samsung calls "Turbo Write" technology. Turbo Write technology is a write acceleration layer Samsung's baked into their new 19nm TLC NAND.
Turbo Write is an emulated SLC (Single Level Cell) layer baked into the EVO's NAND array. Special programming allows a portion of the EVO's TLC based NAND array to operate like SLC NAND. This pseudo SLC layer allows for write acceleration because programming one bit per cell (SLC) can be accomplished at a lower latency than programming three bits per cell (TLC).
Turbo Write technology successfully mitigates the shortcomings of TLC NAND by accelerating write speed, lowering write amplification, and greatly increasing endurance. Turbo Write technology allows Samsung to offer the consumer a solid state storage solution that has class leading performance AND pricing all-in-one product.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup, Drive Properties & ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark 7]
- Page 10 [Secondary Volume Benchmarks - Disk Response Times]
- Page 11 [Secondary Volume Benchmarks - Blackmagicdesign's Disk Speed Test]
- Page 12 [Secondary Volume Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Windows 10 Pro OEM CD-KEY Global, just $12.32
- Nintendo and Microsoft take a 'cross-play' jab at Sony
- Rare does Sea of Thieves 'roundtable' meeting at E3 2018
- Steam Summer Sale 2018, two weeks of CRAZY low prices
- Brand new F1 2018 trailer reveals the French Grand Prix
- Best SSD For Gaming: Over 120 SSDs Tested!
- Vampyr Review: Bloody Rare
- ASROCK X370 and MB STICKS
- Aten Thunderbolt 3 Multiport Dock
- Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit