Today we're going to RAID 0 a pair of Samsung's newest SSD's for your viewing pleasure. So far Samsung is the only player to implement TLC (Triple Level Cell) NAND technology into a retail product. Samsung is looking to revolutionize solid state storage by producing products that have more capacity at a lower cost.
Samsung first introduced us to TLC based solid state drives with their original SSD 840. Samsung's SSD 840 proved to be a solid performer as well as a very reliable platform. Samsung proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that TLC NAND is a totally viable option for consumer based storage implementation.
Samsung's recently launched SSD 840 EVO is a second generation TLC based SSD. Building on the success of the original SSD 840, Samsung is taking TLC implementation to a whole new level. EVO stands for "evolution", so, as you might guess, Samsung is billing their new SSD 840 EVO as "the next evolution in solid state storage".
What makes the EVO the next evolution in solid state storage? In my opinion, the most important technology implemented into the EVO is what Samsung calls "Turbo Write" technology. Turbo Write technology is a write acceleration layer Samsung's baked into their new 19nm TLC NAND.
Turbo Write is an emulated SLC (Single Level Cell) layer baked into the EVO's NAND array. Special programming allows a portion of the EVO's TLC based NAND array to operate like SLC NAND. This pseudo SLC layer allows for write acceleration because programming one bit per cell (SLC) can be accomplished at a lower latency than programming three bits per cell (TLC).
Turbo Write technology successfully mitigates the shortcomings of TLC NAND by accelerating write speed, lowering write amplification, and greatly increasing endurance. Turbo Write technology allows Samsung to offer the consumer a solid state storage solution that has class leading performance AND pricing all-in-one product.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup, Drive Properties & ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark 7]
- Page 10 [Secondary Volume Benchmarks - Disk Response Times]
- Page 11 [Secondary Volume Benchmarks - Blackmagicdesign's Disk Speed Test]
- Page 12 [Secondary Volume Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Roar for 'Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom' Blu-ray giveaway
- MyDigtialSSD ships BPX Pro and lowers prices
- PlayStation Classic: Sony can't prevent hacking with patches
- Devil May Cry 5 has optional microtransactions
- Don't walk - run for our 'Walking Dead' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Battery Issue
- Crucial BX500 SSD Review - Fewer Components, Lower Prices
- Laptop won't turn on after battery died
- For Sale [5Pieces] Apple iPhone Xs/Xs Max 64GB New $3,995CAD
- ASUS Garage Mod AIO Gaming Rig: 8700K TITAN X 3440x1440
- Kensington Unveils LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dual 4K Dock with K-Fob Smart Lock
- Crashbots is coming to Steam on the 9th of October!
- Linksys Launches High Performance, Enterprise-grade Cloud Networking Management For SMB Networks Without Licensing Fees
- BIOSTAR Presents Professional Crypto Mining Motherboards
- Animoca Brands partners with OpenST Limited to develop blockchain-powered games