The clock ticks (or is it a tock this round) and Intel's new 4th Generation Core processor, Haswell, gets closer. Mark your calendars for June 2nd, the rumored announce date, just days before Comptuex in Taipei. Behind the scenes early sample chips are starting to float around and full notebooks should quietly make their way to eager journalist's doors in May.
At Intel Developers Forum in San Francisco we took a shallow dive into the future of desktop, mobile, server and more mobile things to come. Haswell is the next best thing for servers, desktops, notebooks, ultrabooks and even tablets / phones. One architecture to rule them all that scales up, down to the side and even to places where we never dreamed of before.
Making the leap from mobile to server is Intel's interest in power management. Haswell brings voltage regulation to the actual chip and removes it from the motherboard or host device. Haswell has more control of power and more bands were added so the processor can slow or even sleep areas not in use. Other components like SSDs are gaining new sleep states as well, you'll hear about a feature called Dev Sleep before long in our SSD reviews and these features will all work together to further extend battery life and lower desktop power consumption.
Haswell desktop processors have a new pin count, but a familiar shape. Today we're looking at the new socket and will speculate a bit about what overclocking may be like with the return of a base clock.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Atari VCS console upgraded to Ryzen APU
- SEGA's survey dictates 'the next steps' for many SEGA titles
- Valve CEO teases Half-Life 3 to release in next '4-5 years'
- To get into Mortal Kombat 11 closed beta you'll have to pay
- Facebook will use new AI technology to remove 'revenge porn'
- How can we update our Website design?
- MSI GeForce GTX 1660 GAMING X & VENTUS XS Review
- Halloween 4K Blu-ray Review
- GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (VT-D Support)
- ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- Dirt Rally Driver HD the successful mobile game is now available in PC for free
- Super Phantom Cat, a Retro Platformer is Launching on Nintendo Switch March 21st
- Turtle Beach Unveils Its All-New Recon 70 Series Gaming Headsets
- Sacrifices, demons and emperors of Elmoraden
- Lilith Games Rebrands Rise of Civilizations to Rise of Kingdoms