With the GTX 460, NVIDIA has done what most people didn't think they could; create the best value video card on the market. Don't get me wrong, NVIDIA has had good models, but they've always come at a price. For most people, NVIDIA has been the choice for top performance while for best value you opt for ATI.
NVIDIA hasn't shined this year, though; it's been all ATI since the November launch of the HD 5000 series. The GTX 480 and GTX 470, while being fast in their own right, are mostly not good enough considering the wait we had. The GTX 460 on the other hand is everything that most gamers want; cheap, fast and overclockable. This has given NVIDIA a chance to cement themselves back in the gamers market.
Having now tested both the GTX 460 768MB and 1GB, it's become clear that the 768MB version is the best valued version; a nice price difference combined with little performance difference means it's ultimately the better buy. Out of the ones we've tested, taking into consideration that we're happy to overclock ourselves, the Cyclone version from MSI has been one of my favorite thanks to its excellent cooler.
So with the help of MSI, a second Cyclone 768MB arrived and we took the time to SLI the two together. We hope the setup excels, but there's only one way to know and that's to test it. First, let's have a quick look at the card.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [MSI GTX 460 768MB Cyclone in SLI]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 16 [Temperature Test]
- Page 17 [Sound Test]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 20 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 21 [Final Thoughts]